DM-3 or AD-9?

klrbee03

• Members

The bass player in my band recently tossed out a couple of "old pedals" he had lying around and wanted to see if I wanted any of them...well it turns out he had 3 pedals from the 80's which have been sitting in a box in his basement:

Ross Compressor

Boss DM-3

Ibanez AD-9

I didn't have heart to steal his close to $1000 worth of pedals leaving him thinking he'd given me worthless crap, so I informed him of the ebay goldmine he owned. But he'll give me one of the delays for a few bucks.

Which one should I take? Don't say both.

• Members

I would go for the DM-3. I certainly dont find much honest people like you around.

If i were you I would've told him he had the most horrible pile of "crap" on the planet, that i would be doing him a favour by removing these "crap" from him and that without this "{censored}" he'll actually be a better musician.

• Members

Some DM-2 and DM-3 delays have had their internal trim pots messed with. I have seen/heard many like this and they sound like poo. Folks seemed to think that they could get more delay time out (greater than the stock ~ 300msec) by fiddling with the pots. Be careful when buying used. MHO, If it is determined that a DM-2 or 3 is 'virgin' as far as the guts are concerned, consider buying it. It takes a bit of time to dial-in your tone, but once found, it is a great unit. I like the DM-2 a tad more than the DM-3 as it is just a little bit darker sounding. I would be happy with either. (the DM-3 has a wet and dry output, the DM-2 does not)

• Members

i recently bought some analog delays. there was just a short moment when i was thinking about the dm-2. but somehow i didn't like the feeling of it.. though i never played one. well. i bought the ad-80.. more accidently than willingly. but i'm lucky with the deal, very lucky indeed. but if i wouldn't have bought that i'm very sure i would have picked an ad-9!!

• Members
Originally posted by stereotypy

i recently bought some analog delays. there was just a short moment when i was thinking about the dm-2. but somehow i didn't like the feeling of it.. though i never played one. well. i bought the ad-80.. more accidently than willingly. but i'm lucky with the deal, very lucky indeed. but if i wouldn't have bought that i'm very sure i would have picked an ad-9!!

Have you got your AD80 yet?:)

• Members
Originally posted by stereotypy

no.. he said he shipped it thursday.. well. it has to go a loong way here to germany. i hope to have it in about two weeks max.

here's a link to it:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7376845192

(i just saw that the pictures are gone..
:(
)

If that AD80 is running correctly, you're gonna love it.
I have one and also have a DM2 .... I use the DM2 on my board regularly and the AD80 gets used for recordings.
The DM2 is easier to dial-in, but the AD80 is balls to the walls power! It's really ambient sounding and the delays really powerful ... somehow I like it better but due to the ease of use of the DM2, the AD80 is more of a special weapon.
The AD80 also allows you to dial-out all the dry signal and have just delays in the mix ... try that on a recording where something backwards or trippy is called for.
The AD80 also needs 2-9V's so eventually you are going to want to get a power supply for it.

Archived