Duane Dennison (Jesus Lizard) gear?

letterswewrote

• Members

i love this guys sound and playing. i heard he used (whats he doing now?) the now very pricey travis bean aluminum models, but what else? anyone know amps and or pedals? anything? my telecaster and fuzz factory can get slightly close to his lead tone, but the beauty of his sound is he can do crushing rhythm, great leads, and then real nice arpeggiated stuff with the same clarity of distortion.

as a side note to his gear, anyone know of a distortion pedal than do some pretty heavy rhythm but maintain clarity for things like arpeggio's?

• Members

hmm, thats interesting. i had the idea in my head he was a big fan of the travis bean's like albini. perhaps i was mistaken though. did you see him use any pedals? could the hiwatt really put out that kind of gain with a strat and nothing else?

also, was their live show as good as anyone ive ever met who's seen them says it is?

• Members

Originally posted by letterswewrote

hmm, thats interesting. i had the idea in my head he was a big fan of the travis bean's like albini. perhaps i was mistaken though. did you see him use any pedals? could the hiwatt really out out that kind of gain with a strat?

he uses travis bean guitars, but not all the time.

definitely a Hiwatt man...he makes those suckers scream.

he's pretty much a minimalist when it comes to gear - lots of volume knob control.

• Members

Yes, the shows were that good. The last time they played Dallas, some dip{censored} threw a beer bottle and hit David Yow right smack in the face. Blood was everywhere and the show halted while Denison and the Bass player and Drummer tried to find the {censored}tard that threw the bottle, they were gonna kill the stupid bastard. About fifteen minutes later the show resumed with David Yow covered in Blood, desperately in need of stitches.

always chaotic, great music, incredible shows. You should also check Scratch Acid, they were awesome too.

• Members

ill look into scratch acid.

id be terrified of an angry david yow. he's not scary in that im 3oo lbs. and im gonna crush you like a gorrilla frat boy, but more in that "im -probably- legitimately -crazy" kind of way.

that being said, id rather fight the frat boy.

and also, i just want a damned hiwatt even more.

• Members

Originally posted by letterswewrote

ill look into scratch acid.

id be terrified of an angry david yow. he's not scary in that im 3oo lbs. and im gonna crush you like a gorrilla frat boy, but more in that "im -probably- legitimately -crazy" kind of way.

that being said, id rather fight the frat boy.

and also, i just want a damned hiwatt even more.

If you think you want to fight David Yow, you need to see some Jesus Lizard live vids.:eek:

Some of the stories circulating about him in Chitown give me the willies.

I'd still buy him a beer and listen to stories though!:thu:

• Members

When I saw them Duane amazed me. He has some fingerings that are just whack. And Mr. Yow is crazy. At the club there was an upstairs with a railing. Yow, climbed the speaker stacks jumped to the railing, and crawled along it while still singing. Then he jumped off into the audience.

At Lollapalooza they played both stages, and were intense on both.

• Members

I saw a live video a while ago ( yes a video) and he was playing a hamer strat style gat with two Hi-Watt half stacks and a massive rack full of processors. I think it was around the time that Liar was released. When he was doing The Denison/Kimball Trio he used a Hamer and a Hi-Watt half stack.

• Members

Travis Bean into a Matchless when I saw JL in a tiny club here.

Had a hard time taking my eyes off Duane's left hand.

Edit- Or was it something that looked like a Matchless. Was there an amp company called Bedrock that made AC-30 clones? That's my final answer, Regis.

• Members

If I remember correctly, at least two out of the three times I saw JL, Duane was playing a Tele or maybe a Tele copy like a Hamer. But I'm pretty sure they were regular Fenders. Don't remember the amps, but on the last two Tomahawk records he thanks Hiwatt Amplification or people that work there. This is the band he's currently in, with Mike Patton on vocals and John Stanier formerly of Helmet on drums. Both really good albums, in the vein of JL and Patton stuff.

Incidentally, part of the reason he gets such cool voicings is from studying classical guitar with Christopher Parkening.

• Members

I played with duane about 6 months ago when we opened for Bobby Bare JR. He was playing an es-135 with bigsby into a G-Force Into a Fender Vibro King. No other pedals. He made it sound great! Takes a real player to pull off a rig like that.

I have to note, he was one hell of a nice guy. Sat around and talked with us after, asked about my lapsteel etc.etc.

• Members

he used travis beans for quit some time into hiwatt stack... but he also played trough marshall head... but his key sound is travis bean into hiwatt...

i have the "shot" video and there he used a hamer custom strat into hiwatt stack... in the rack was the tc electronic 2290 delay, fender tube reverb tank and some other things i can't identify...

he later said in an interview he used the menatone red snapper overdrive and the tc electronic gforce....

when he was on tour with tomahawk and the melvins he used buzz osbournes amp and used his pedal/rack setup....

i have a travis bean and it definatly has that jesus lizard sound...

he also plays in the denison-kimball trio DK3 and i think he also is a bit of a studiomusician sometimes...

there was a mail from david yow on tjl fan page on geocities cause there were some rumours and that weren't really true... he's working as a photoshop-artist and designed numerous things for posters/dvd's of very well known movies... he played in 2 movies i think... and there will be never a reunion... he said he was very disapointed when the first drummer left and they had to make albums for capitol or otherwise they had to pay about 60000$... he's also working on a solo album on his own but no date when that will be out... mike patton nagged his ears off to do it...

Archived