Just got a DOD FX59 Thrashmaster...

Speeddemon

• Members

and it REALLY isn't that bad!

It's not for the faint hearted, that's for sure, and you need to keep the Presence knob below 12 o' clock, or it will get too ice-picky.

My only beef with it is, that it's too beefy. :D

I'm gonna look into modding it, to lower the amount of bass, and raise the mids.

Right now it does have that scooped metalsound, but in the Zoom Driver 5000 way; ultra tight and fat!

But with the Thrashmaster the low-end (eventhough it's defined) it's too much.

simply put, I want it to shift from Metallica to a more Gary Moore-ish tone.

I expected the worst distortion next to the LA Metal or something, but dayum, it's nice!

(bought it more for collection purposes, since it is near mint, with battery door, box, manual, warranty card)

• Members

I bought one the other day! I haven't played with it much yet, initial impressions are that it's quite wooly and fuzzy, reminds me in some ways of a BOSS HM-2.

There was also a Metal Master on ebay at the time (the bright yellow one), and i'm slightly regretting letting that one go, they'd have made a nice pair....

And I'm glad you got a battery door :mad:

I've got at least a dozen old DOD's, and the vast majority have missing doors. I think the stupid 3.5mm power jack didn't help matters, as everyone was pretty much forced to use a battery....

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

I bought one the other day! I haven't played with it much yet, initial impressions are that it's quite wooly and fuzzy, reminds me in some ways of a BOSS HM-2.

There was also a Metal Master on ebay at the time (the bright yellow one), and i'm slightly regretting letting that one go, they'd have made a nice pair....

And I'm glad you got a battery door
:mad:

I've got at least a dozen old DOD's, and the vast majority have missing doors. I think the stupid 3.5mm power jack didn't help matters, as everyone was pretty much forced to use a battery....

You mean the Metal Maniac? (the fluorescent yellow/green one).

I got that one, near mint and complete too.

I didn't find the Thrashmaster that wooly/fuzzy actually. Might have to do with my guitar and pickups (Ibanez S540FM TTS, HSH, with DiMarzio Evo bridge, FS-1 mid, Air Norton Neck).

This is a very defined, articulate, yet pretty warm set of pickups.

The Metal Maniac is worse in sound, but it did low-gain blues stuff pretty damn good, when teamed up with an analog delay!

The key is to play with your guitar's volume knob then.

I managed to cope some decent SRV-ish tones from the Metal Maniac, not a feat that most people can pull off. :D

• Members

Yeah, I meant Metal Maniac. It was dirt cheap too :(

I'm using a Schecter into the clean chan of a Peavey XXL, the Schecters pickups are quite bitey, but i didn't find a lot of it coming through. To be honest, I found the prescence control a little too one or the other, I might have to try it with an EQ pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by dennis138

Is that on older pedal? I've never seen it.

I've no idea of timeline, I've got 5 variants of DOD pedals in terms of design and layout, and haven't a clue when things changed or what.

It all started when I tried to find a Death Metal from the mid 90's, and realised how many bloody versions there were with different designs but the same name....

This is the FX58 & FX59:

dod_fx58_001.jpgdod_fx59_001.jpg

• Members

I'm currently in the process of trying to collect the earliest ones, with the whole numbers (fx-10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80. Fx-90 doesn't count, since it's got a different layout. Added are the fx-25 and fx-85)

So far I only got a MIB FX-10 Bi-FET, a loose FX-25 Envelope Filter (on the way) and a NMIB FX-60 Stereo Chorus.

I mean the ones with the big Fulltone-like knobs, not the later ones.

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

You mean this style?

dod_fx10_001.jpg

I've got the later FX10, an old FX40, and I can't remember what model Stereo Chorus I've got. And a bucket of other models as well....

The only big knob one I've seen is the FX-55 which I've been tempted to pick up, but at

• Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

that's the style, indeed.

FX-55 is just the 'Distortion' with the big knobs right?

the FX-85's seem to always sell for around $45-47.

Btw, judging from the reviews it's one noisy mofo!

Yeah, plain red Distortion. It's a bit battered too. I initially thought it had been Keeley modded due to the 'fans' around the knobs, because I'd never seen a DOD like it, and it reminded me of the Keeley tubescreamer cosmetics.

• Members

I love the style of those DODs. Too bad that the switching system SUCKS BEYOND MEASURE!

What were they thinking? Building a nice, thick enclosure, solid knobs, quality potmeters (Alpha), but the part that needs to be the most durable, they build out of thin plastic, with a lame mini switch. :mad:

Also, since they're wider than a Boss pedal, you can't rehouse them in a 1590B or 125-B.

I like to reverse-engineer or acquire a schematic of my FX-10 though. Sounds pretty nice.

• Members

I love the style of those DODs. Too bad that the switching system SUCKS BEYOND MEASURE!

What were they thinking? Building a nice, thick enclosure, solid knobs, quality potmeters (Alpha), but the part that needs to be the most durable, they build out of thin plastic, with a lame mini switch.

Also, since they're wider than a Boss pedal, you can't rehouse them in a 1590B or 125-B.

I like to reverse-engineer or acquire a schematic of my FX-10 though. Sounds pretty nice.

They really are stupid switches. I've got a Milkbox from the mid 90's (udder graphics), and that's got the boss style switch, much better.

Some of mine are all right, others you have to hit exactly right....

The FX10 is bloody powerful. I only bought it because it was cheap, i really don't have a need for a boost pedal, but i was blown away by the boost it provides......

• Members

Someplace there is a giant wearhouse with all those missing DOD battery doors in it. Either that or there's some parallel universe where the poor inhabitants are continually being pelted with battery doors dropping out of the sky.

Some really needs to spend a lot of time and money, or effort pestering DOD themselves, researching the FX series stuff and its history. Besides the differences between the first issue ones and the B suffix stuff DOD seemed to have changed their graphics in subtle ways over the life of some of those boxes.

• Members

Back to the Thrash Master for a second...

Speeddemon, I'm glad you like the Thrash Master! I've always thought it was kind of an overlooked gem. (overlooked because of its excessive pinkness and cheesy 80s DODness...)

I would be very curious to see what sort of mods you (or anyone else) could do to tame the bass output of this monster, since that's the only thing I don't like about it, really.

• Members

Originally posted by tim gueguen

....Some really needs to spend a lot of time and money, or effort pestering DOD themselves, researching the FX series stuff and its history. Besides the differences between the first issue ones and the B suffix stuff DOD seemed to have changed their graphics in subtle ways over the life of some of those boxes.

if everybody here finally bought the copy of 'Analogman's Guide...' that they've been putting off so long, perhaps NDTom could be convinced to reasearch it for the second edition. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

if everybody here finally bought the copy of 'Analogman's Guide...' that they've been putting off so long, perhaps NDTom could be convinced to reasearch it for the second edition.
;)

I got my copy from Tom himself.

I think I might actually be of use, when he's doing research for old Boss, MXR and DOD stuff.

(Although speaking to Keith Barr directly, might help more... :o;) )

But DOD really made some beautiful stuff (although some 70's stuff kinda blatantly stolen from MXR).

Also, their unique stuff is to be cherised, like the 690 Chorus, which has 2 selectable speeds, and selecting from 1 to 2, the speed RAMPS UP or DOWN, instead of an instant switch. :thu:

@Tim; you're right! And frankly, I hate the -B suffixed DOD pedals.

Also, DOD in their own stupidness made 2 totally different pedal with the same FX-number (the FX-70 Metal something and FX-70 Stereo Flanger).

• Members

I got my copy from Tom himself.

I think I might actually be of use, when he's doing research for old Boss, MXR and DOD stuff.

(Although speaking to Keith Barr directly, might help more...
:o;)
)

But DOD really made some beautiful stuff (although some 70's stuff kinda blatantly stolen from MXR).

Also, their unique stuff is to be cherised, like the 690 Chorus, which has 2 selectable speeds, and selecting from 1 to 2, the speed RAMPS UP or DOWN, instead of an instant switch.
:thu:

Also, DOD in their own stupidness made 2 totally different pedal with the same FX-number (the FX-70 Metal something and FX-70 Stereo Flanger).

With regard to the B suffix, it seems later on, and I may be wrong, that B came first. i've got an FX86-B Death Metal, and that came before the FX68 Death Metal, which is still available, but doesn't have the Guts Scream Pain etc style knobs

Here's another bump for getting some history down...

The best chronology i've seen for livery is the envelope filter here:

http://filters.muziq.be/model/dod/fx/fx25

• Members

The FX 70C Corrosion pedal. Mine is minty and has the battery door. 3 of the 4558 chips in it, surprisingly good sounding pedal from DOD.

Is that why I have'nt seen many of these,because they had two with the FX70?

eBaystuff007.jpg

• Members

No, that's not it.

That has the C-suffix.

I ment the 'FX70 Metal-X'.

Starts with 'FX70' just like the Stereo Flanger.

Darxide, that Musique link is indeed very clear!

Also makes it quite easy to see why the first ones looked so much better!

DOD should learn from Boss perhaps;

DS-1 looks pretty much the same in 29 years.

• Members

No, that's not it.

That has the C-suffix.

I ment the 'FX70 Metal-X'.

Starts with 'FX70' just like the Stereo Flanger.

Darxide, that Musique link is indeed very clear!

Also makes it quite easy to see why the first ones looked so much better!

DOD should learn from Boss perhaps;

DS-1 looks pretty much the same in 29 years.

yeah, again from musiq:

dod_fx70m_001.jpgdod_fx70_001.jpg

They also did it with the FX87, although this was more of a re-badging than a cock up....

dod_fx87_001.jpgdod_fx87-psy_001.jpg

• Members

OMG the metal maniac was my 1st pedal. do you actually use these DOD distortions? I dont ever remember getting a good sound out of one. I messed around with the american metal too (purplish pink i belive). they are harsh as hell thats all i remember.

Archived