What's the difference between a volume pot and a wah pot? This isn't a bad joke, btw.

Madcap-513

• Members

taper first of all.

then the value .. which is dicated by the circuit demands.

a sealed pot is better able to withstand the abuse of something that is intended to sit on the floor with all the rest of the dirt and dust.

otherwise.

nothing... you COULD use a standard guitar pot in a wah.

but for the SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS.. they would not last as long.

• Members

Originally posted by Madcap-513

You see, I was hoping to install an effect pedal in a wah case, and solder the rate or depth wires to the wah pot.

Still, how many "k", or whatever they are, is a wah pot. I know it makes a difference on delays.

unless your wah case is Sealed from dust and dirt. standard pots from, say a delay, won't last very long.

as for values

Sealed pots can be had in just about any value you need. they are more expensive though.

I know that Dunlop offers pots in 25K, 100K and 470K as standard items

• Members

Oh, I was going to use a wah pot, what I wanted to know was would it change my sound at all from a regular pot (hm, I should have rephrased the quesiton... I need sleep, sorry).

they do have tapers, and the one in a crybaby is probably not linear. the value should be stamped on the pot.

good luck with your project.

• Members

The pot I want to replace with a wah pot is 500k.

wha?

:)

if you build your own effect, you'll know whether or not the taper is linear, what ohmage the pot needs to be, etc.

exactly what are you building? exactly what is the pot type you're planning to use?

• Members

Originally posted by Anal Log

For {censored}s sake, it's not that hard.

The guy wants to use the pot that's in his wah... but he wants to know the specs of the pot that's in his wah to see if it'll fit his circuit.

Well then for {censored}s sake he can tell us what brand and model of effect he wants to house.

No one here is a {censored}ing mind reader and various effects have vastly different values so why don't you back the {censored} up.

And if he doesn't even know that most wah's use a 100K pot then maybe it's over his head to begin with. Maybe a SPECIFIC question can be asked.

• Members

Do I want it to be linear? What should I use? The pot I want to replace with a wah pot is 500k.

you want to do it the other way around... rehouse the current pot into the wah casing.... if you use the wah pot it will work differently, unless it is the same value and taper

• Members

Originally posted by yaz75

Well then for {censored}s sake he can tell us what brand and model of effect he wants to house.

No one here is a {censored}ing mind reader and various effects have vastly different values so why don't you back the {censored} up.

And if he doesn't even know that most wah's use a 100K pot then maybe it's over his head to begin with. Maybe a SPECIFIC question can be asked.

Oooh scary.

Seriously, though. It took me 5 seconds to figure out what the guy is talking about, and people are replying with ignorant questions and answers. All the info is there.

• 14 years later...
  • Members

From a Fulltone ad on eBay I understand vintage pedals (or vintage-like) use a non-linear pot is "quicker" in the middle. They say this characteristic enables musicians to achieve the tremolo effect (as I understand, since resistance values change faster around the middle).

As to values, you gotta see what your circuit needs or the value of the original one if you're gonna replace. For tests, any pot will do - but use a pot with the same value of a commercially available wah pot.

I'm trying to find ou if the differences are just mechanical - easier to turn and with a longer lifespan (in number of turns). Am I correct?

Thanks!

Archived