So I got bored tonight... I modded my HM2 to have a tube in it.

Pwn3d

• Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

so, what does it sound like?

I think I might make some clips later.

See the cool thing is I can integrate multiple tubes into one circuit. On the HM-2 I can actually switch out the tube section. There is still a hell of a lot more I can, and will, do to it.

And the best thing is that now is that I can do this to just about any pedal, and especially with boss pedals I found a way to TB them without any external mods :)

I think I have a modded bd2 or sd1 in my future. :D If I do make the sd1 it will be VERY responsive. (or at least I think it will)

• Members

Originally posted by dan-o-guitar

Sounds interesting. Care to share a how-to?

Also, have you found any good web resources for how to mod pedals to use pre-amp tubes?

Like I said I was still prototyping this, I dont want to say anything and have someone hurt themselves and I end up with my foot in my mouth. Even though it is a low voltage project I still take care. There are few resources but you can find them.

I know that no one has started a guide or any collected info on this but I want to start a web site with in-depth articles teaching others about it. I also want to do mods to pedals to include tubes. And its not like Im gonna rape people on the prices I can probably provide a fully modded tube pedal for about the price of a keeley one. (not comparing the audio quality but the cost of a modded pedal. RK's work is awesome)

I will say this though, you can use a tube for the clipping section or for FET type use. And I also have many ambitious projects ahead. (like a tube preamp thats cheap, easy and awesome sounding and if my crazy idea serves me right I can have a modded sd1 with three 12ax7's that will have a switchable extra gain stage for pushing it over the edge; rehoused of course. I'm pretty sure I could even convert that and use it in a single rack space and make it somewhat of a overdrive preamp, but I wont go there because those are extensive mods. I would much rather create my own.)

:)

-nic

• Members

or make the TS9 a REAL tubescreamer

hell take the behringers version of the Ts808..thing costs 20$

hahaa ive always wished i knew electronics, im betting understanding this mod isnt that hard if ou can spring it on a bunch of pedals like that

ive always wondered why this hasnt been done..

ive also wondered why no one tried to add tubes to SS amps, but one site proved me wrong, had a rectifier kit for SS amps

• Members

Originally posted by Pwn3d

Like I said I was still prototyping this, I dont want to say anything and have someone hurt themselves and I end up with my foot in my mouth. Even though it is a low voltage project I still take care. There are few resources but you can find them.

I know that no one has started a guide or any collected info on this but I want to start a web site with in-depth articles teaching others about it. I also want to do mods to pedals to include tubes. And its not like Im gonna rape people on the prices I can probably provide a fully modded tube pedal for about the price of a keeley one. (not comparing the audio quality but the cost of a modded pedal. RK's work is awesome)

I will say this though, you can use a tube for the clipping section or for FET type use. And I also have many ambitious projects ahead. (like a tube preamp thats cheap, easy and awesome sounding and if my crazy idea serves me right I can have a modded sd1 with three 12ax7's that will have a switchable extra gain stage for pushing it over the edge; rehoused of course. I'm pretty sure I could even convert that and use it in a single rack space and make it somewhat of a overdrive preamp, but I wont go there because those are extensive mods. I would much rather create my own.)

:)
-nic

That sounds like a lot of work invested, so good job dude. Good luck with the progress. When you have one ready for public consumption, I'll be happy to add to theList

• Members

I know that no one has started a guide or any collected info on this but I want to start a web site with in-depth articles teaching others about it.

Ehrm, Indyguitarist has, amongst others. :idea:

Also, why don't you and the DioKay fella use the small missile tubes? Those would be way easier to fit in Boss pedals.

That DS-1 of his looks SHINY!!! Jeez! :eek::love:

Btw, do Tube Fuzzes exist?

Since apparently the FZ-3 (or was it the FZ-2?) is fully discrete, you could try to replace all transistors/FET's with tubes, gain-cascade them like hell, and get a Tube Fuzz! :thu:

• Members

That sounds like a lot of work invested, so good job dude. Good luck with the progress. When you have one ready for public consumption, I'll be happy to add to
theList

:eek:

bout time they did a multi TS pedal! i always thought about that

and FINALLY, MULTI ANALOGE FX PEDALS!

ive often thoughta bout ripping stompboxes out and just fitting them into one large case

but yea Pwn3D, thats sweet

• Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

Also, why don't you and the DioKay fella use the small missile tubes? Those would be way easier to fit in Boss pedals.

Because if I socket the 12ax7 you can use any variation of it and its not that hard to replace. (not that its gonna have a lot of wear and tear but stuff just sometimes breaks.

That sounds like a lot of work invested, so good job dude. Good luck with the progress. When you have one ready for public consumption, I'll be happy to add to
theList

sweet, I'll let you know when

Also, yes I thought about making a tubescreamer a real tubescreamer. Im going to take my clone. (a ts with mods, expanded volume, expanded range (both ways- lower gain, higher gain), a three band eq that has an awesome workable curve to it (in theory) with a raw switch that will take the three band out of the circuit. Now I think I'll integrate the tubes and the boost that I was going to add to it I might aswell make a tube boost also. Most likely I'll make an SS version of it first to get the bugs out. (Note: everything is in theory, but is based upon common mods)

And yes, its amazing. Once you learn how to do this you can pretty much add a tube to anything, even ss amps. :D

• Members

yea, ive got some electronic engineer buddies that can pickup a completely blown amp/pa/stereo/tv rip it apart, tell me whats wrong, and slap it back together, and all thats wrong is maybe 1.73$ in parts from radio shack..

Im too right brained for that kinda stuff

Ah yes, the 12ax7 i was just gonna say, what about biasing haha wouldnt that suck...

good thing you aint got 6l6's in there er something...make an external box that fits underneith with some power tubes!

but yea, serious kudos man :thu:

• Members

Because if I socket the 12ax7 you can use any variation of it and its not that hard to replace. (not that its gonna have a lot of wear and tear but stuff just sometimes breaks. sweet, I'll let you know when

Also, yes I thought about making a tubescreamer a real tubescreamer. Im going to take my clone. (a ts with mods, expanded volume, expanded range (both ways- lower gain, higher gain), a three band eq that has an awesome workable curve to it (in theory) with a raw switch that will take the three band out of the circuit. Now I think I'll integrate the tubes and the boost that I was going to add to it I might aswell make a tube boost also. Most likely I'll make an SS version of it first to get the bugs out. (Note: everything is in theory, but is based upon common mods)

And yes, its amazing. Once you learn how to do this you can pretty much add a tube to anything, even ss amps.
:D

That is the spirit! Instead of a measley 3 band eq, go all the way up to a full 6 band graphic EQ. I'll see your TS mod-box and raise you a Grinding Bitch . What is that you may ask? Well, the FuzzLab is almost done and after that comes the Grinding Bitch:

Jack Orman's Bitching MOSFET Clean Boost-->

TS808/9 Clone with three stacked opamps (switchable of course), six clipping diode variations including asymmetric or symmetric clipping plus the snake oil clipping leds (just for fun) and a mid scoop knob into -->

BSIAB2: Oh my sweet weeping Jesus, the tone..... into -->

Dr. Boogey: Tone stack from a Mesa Boogie Rectifier with five steaming JFETs driving an unholy distortion into -->

RAT clone with enough mods to clean out my remaining pots and switches stash.

There will be the aforementioned 6 band tunable graphic EQ.

And for the grand finale, oh yes my friends, it is true, a full mixer section that allows you to cascade or seperately run each stage and pan left or right for stereo outputs.

The only enclosure I've found wide and deep enough to house this unholy trailer-park bitch of a pedal is a 15" wide sloped front LMB box.

The FuzzLab only had five stages and it has been a massive project for me. Here's the latest gut shot:

crazywires.jpg

But even that insanity pales in comparison to the Grinding Bitch concept. If I live through it...then comes the Stereo Space Cadet

DIY instead of BUY

Can I get an "amen" brother?

Archived