my jazzmaster is kind of broken!!!

stereotypy

• Members

after a heavy song yesterday my jazzmaster stopped working. for it was our last song it wasn't that bad.. but sucks anyway!! i hit "her" above the pickups maybe that wasn't too good?? my previous guitar didn't bother..

well what's broken?

the switch above the pickups that disables the 3-way-switch! it was really loose in there. i removed the pickguard and the switch was a little moved out of the "metal enclosure".. so i pushed it back in and thought... >thanks! it's wokring again

bad surprise! i put on one string to test it and everything sounded the same! i recognized that it didn't matter where the switch above the pickups was, the 3wayselector was always disabled.

so i put that little metal ring - i thought was for ground - not between the switch and pickguard.. i put it on the "free side" so it was screw into pickguard > switch > ring. you nkow that ring which is sitting on the lower side of the switch.

but this time the switch worked and the 3wayselector worked except the neck pickup didn't work that also caused the middle position to only sound the same as the bridge...

damn.. what do i missing there??

• Members

now it's working again... i have the ring between switch and pickguard and everythings fine except most of the time when i am in the "3waydisabled-mode" and switch back to my 3way selector i have to switch about 3times until the jazzmasters gets it!! if i don't do that it just stays in the disabled mode.

weird .. seems like a "wackelkontakt" somewhere... i don't know the english word .. and so if you wanna know what a "wackelkontakt" is you have to wait .... until i have access to my dictionary again.. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by stereotypy

now it's working again... i have the ring between switch and pickguard and everythings fine except most of the time when i am in the "3waydisabled-mode" and switch back to my 3way selector i have to switch about 3times until the jazzmasters gets it!! if i don't do that it just stays in the disabled mode.

weird .. seems like a "wackelkontakt" somewhere... i don't know the english word .. and so if you wanna know what a "wackelkontakt" is you have to wait .... until i have access to my dictionary again..
;)

"loose contact."
i am your dictionary!
:wave:
you can check by slightly tugging on the wires to see if there's good contact and then solder the dodgy ones.

• Members

Good to hear its back on the track ..

Have you thought about changing your stock pups? .. and have you found decent gain pedals that work well with it..

I just got this one last week.. Its a lil too mint for me , a lil wear is good sometimes... its stock , may add a buzzstop though .. I really like the feel...
75_1.JPG

Im working with a rat II , ultra fuzz and fuzz factory .. So far the rat sounds sweet, and ultra fuzz is set to a big muff type tone , and im still working with the fuzz factory ... we'll see

• Members

well the stock pu are just fine for the moment. maybe i will change them during the year.

i used to play humbucker guitar so it was kinda strange the first times to play with it through any od or fuzz. but i just use my java boost to add a little more body and to sim a early breakup of the amp.

at the moment i have the java on all the time. my dirt chain is at the moment: sunface nkt -> java -> icbm -> zendrive -> klon

the zendrive is just sweet. and the klon i set to clean boost at the end. the sunface is great raw, too.. and for the icbm i think i might replace by a not big-muff pedal (just doesn't cut through as i would like it.. it's wide but i want it more focused ... to pull out walls of sound like mogwai. maybe a fab tone, mammoth, fireburst,,.... there are so many.. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

"loose contact."

i am your dictionary!

you can check by slightly tugging on the wires to see if there's good contact and then solder the dodgy ones.

thanks for being my dictionary! :wave:

so when i touch the good contacts with a screwdriver for example i should here a sound or not?? and the bad ones?

• Members

thanks for being my dictionary!

so when i touch the good contacts with a screwdriver for example i should here a sound or not?? and the bad ones?

you don't need a screwdriver. plug in the pickguard, as it were nad turn on the amp. just pull gently at the wire at the contact on one end and then the other until you've found the culprit. no need to worry about electrocution with a guitar's electrics.

guitars w/ pickguards like that are more difficult because you can't test things while the strings are on. but you can tap on the polepieces or hold up a tuning fork.

• Members

what are the pros and contras for a buzzstop??

The Buzz stop is intenden to give a less a more balanced string tension and a less sharp string angle. Thus supposedly increasing sustain , and help fix some of the string slipping probs...

But some feel like it changes the character of a JM , I personally can't recall such a vast difference from my old jm w/bs and the one i just got.

My jm has decent sustain as it is ... im not such a sustain freak as some others... sonic youth used tune-o-matic bridges i've read...

may look into these...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Standard_Posts.html

• Members

Originally posted by StratAtak83

Not my auction , but a decent looking jazz for a decent price..

THat color is hawt...

saw that, was tempted but i'm putting purchases on hold for now. plus i only really want a sunburst.

what'd you pay for yours, if i may be so bold?

• Members

THe same exact price 625 shipped .. in sunburst .. Im not a big fan of sunburst ..

maybe i'll add a blk pickguard to my sunburst..

they seem to pop up , and then vanish from the web .. had to jump on it ..

seems to be the going price then. not bad at all for a MIJ guitar!

you can always put yours in the SPAM thread asking for a color swap!

• Members

seems to be the going price then. not bad at all for a MIJ guitar!

you can always put yours in the SPAM thread asking for a color swap!

Yeah .. i was thinking about buying that one listed on ebay, but im too lazy and satisfied with my current jazzmaster ..

I'll deal with the sunburst , mine is cij by the way , made in 97, but i swear this thing musta been under a bed for ten years.. no signs of wear at all from normal use..:thu:

oh apollon music has the OLB blue JM ..http://www.apollonmusic.com/c_menu/Fender_html/FJ-regular.html

Similar to elctmist's jaguar.. lord
CIJ66Jag.jpg

• Members

Yeah .. i was thinking about buying that one listed on ebay, but im too lazy and satisfied with my current jazzmaster ..

I'll deal with the sunburst , mine is cij by the way , made in 97, but i swear this thing musta been under a bed for ten years.. no signs of wear at all from normal use..
:thu:

is there a big difference between CIJs and MIJs? thought it was just a name/period thing.

has there been a jag or JM made recently with block inlays?

• Members
Originally posted by digital

the fabtone is awful.. if you get one i'll ignore you for the rest of your life...
;)

i had one and i hated it. but for pushing the band.. well ..

i don'tn know what i will do for that kind of distortion/fuzz.... i heard that the mammoth will boom through.. well as long as it stands out in the mix, and i mean really stand out not like a normal muff,.. than i think this could be great, except for the price.

• Members

is there a big difference between CIJs and MIJs? thought it was just a name/period thing.

the jazzmasters you can buy only in japan are still with block inlays. great looking except for the matching headstock i don't like that much.

• Members

I don't think its a major difference.. between cij and mij ..but im no expert..

• Members

well i started a thread about jazzmaster replacemant pickups a some time ago. i think it was chris novak who not only makes a vintage replica.. he also fits p-90 and paf pickups into a jazzmaster housing!!

i think seymour duncan is also always a good adress. they make vintage, hot and quarter or soomething like that + the antiquity.

or you can go and buy the av pickups from fender. those are the ones which are in the american jazzmaster serie.

Archived