DIY guys, how many times have you burned yourself?

Pwn3d

• Members

a few. two notable shop accidents: i wasn't looking and picked up the soldering iron by the hot tip once. that left a white-ash burn on my index finger and thumb that took months to heal.

the other was a dremel tool loaded with a pc board bit... got away from me and plunged into my thigh, snapping off the bit about 3/4" long under my skin. that was rather disconcerting to remove with tweezers and lots of pressure. doing surgery on yourself is eerie, and compounded by being pantsless.

• Members

Originally posted by jasonfuzz

am I to assume zvex pedals are made while in underoos?

:D

Yeah when I was trying to get my BYOC Screamer working my left index finger was white and ashy from the soldering iron. It smelled weird, not bad, but just werid enough to where you wanted to smell it. :confused::o:D

• Members

....luckily not by the iron itself as of yet but I do get a few stray globs of hot solder on me from time to time. However, I will be replacing the carpet in the bonus room at some time do to a soldering iron incident.

I can see where a PCB bit would be harmful. Those things are close to the size of a thicker gauge needle. I always cringe when I use the Dremel cutting wheel to cut a PCB board. Those things break and fly like Chinese throwing stars.

• Members

Originally posted by zachary vex

a few. two notable shop accidents: i wasn't looking and picked up the soldering iron by the hot tip once. that left a white-ash burn on my index finger and thumb that took months to heal.

the other was a dremel tool loaded with a pc board bit... got away from me and plunged into my thigh, snapping off the bit about 3/4" long under my skin. that was rather disconcerting to remove with tweezers and lots of pressure. doing surgery on yourself is eerie, and compounded by being pantsless.

you win :D

• Members

Rock n Roll surgery, very cool.

The best time I can remember was fixing the reverb on an old Roland Cube 30. As I was talking to the owner of the amp I remember smelling something sweet .I looked down to see the soldering iron sticking out of my ring finger. It hit the bone, ouch. It took ages to heal and the dead skin came out in the form of a cone.

• Members

so far no burns but i've only had several hours on an iron..

this seems like a good thread to ask.. tonight i was trying to put one of my Jazzmasters together and could not get the solder on one of the brass shielding plates to melt with my budget weller iron. the iron works fine with smaller globs on pots and pcb's but with these bigger globs where I need to ground a wire or remove/replace glazier points I can't even get the top of the solder to melt let alone the whole glob though the plate gets white hot :confused:

does it sound like my iron is shot?

if so is there anything under $50 worth investing in :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by (((echo)))

so far no burns but i've only had several hours on an iron..

this seems like a good thread to ask.. tonight i was trying to put one of my Jazzmasters together and could not get the solder on one of the brass shielding plates to melt with my budget weller iron. the iron works fine with smaller globs on pots and pcb's but with these bigger globs where I need to ground a wire or remove/replace glazier points I can't even get the top of the solder to melt let alone the whole glob though the plate gets white hot
:confused:

does it sound like my iron is shot?

if so is there anything under $50 worth investing in
:confused:

Yeah, I've had problems with that before. What wattage is your iron?

You learn to be careful, because burns tend to smart a bit, but if you do a lot of soldering, chances are better than good you've been burned at least a few times.

There was this one tech who used to work for me years ago, and the guy was working on reasonably high voltage circuits (think tube amp circuits), and the guy seemed to be unable to go for more than three days without getting "bit" at least once. Like him, if you're getting burned with every job you do, it's probably time to take a look at your technique and awareness, or consider another hobby / career. ;)

• Members

i've been "bit" by 230v a couple of times. i burned a white spot on my index finger by grabbing the soldering iron without watching. and allmost a year ago i burned myself with a drop of solder on the back of my hand. it's allmost healed now.

• Members

OW!!!!!

Please don't fix my Machine in your skiddies!

:D :D

• Members

It's usually when I hold my solder iron (40W Ersa) like a sigarette between index and middlefingers of my right hand, and try to work on some piece of wire with my the rest of my fingers and left hand, that I get burned, when not paying enough attention, or worse... when the solder iron drops to the floor and I'm trying to grab it , around the hot part, because the handle goes first! :(

Usually in the milliseconds before touching it, my mind and eyes register what's going to happen and give a big 'RETREAT!" message to my hand, but it's a slow learner. So I at least touch a small part then, leaving me cussing like a seaman.

• Moderators

I've learned to not try to catch the soldering iron if it is slipping off the desktop! I just let it fall to the floor (after moving my feet) and then snatch it up fast before the carpet gets fried.

One of my worst accidents is when I was (in my briefs) repairing a friend's pedal and putting a lot of solder on a ground connection on the back of a pot.... I got too much solder on there and it dropped off onto my inner thigh... WOW!

Molten lead close to the scrotum is no fun! :D

-Jack

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

You learn to be careful, because burns tend to smart a bit, but if you do a lot of soldering, chances are better than good you've been burned at least a few times.

There was this one tech who used to work for me years ago, and the guy was working on reasonably high voltage circuits (think tube amp circuits), and the guy seemed to be unable to go for more than three days without getting "bit" at least once. Like him, if you're getting burned with every job you do, it's probably time to take a look at your technique and awareness, or consider another hobby / career.
;)

i did something stupid once... went to pull a fuse out of an old record player while still plugged in...240v ZING!!! man it felt soooooo damn good though!

and i would recommend it to everyone if it wasnt dangerous! seriously it's an amazing feeling... :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by AMZ-FX

One of my worst accidents is when I was (in my briefs) repairing a friend's pedal and putting a lot of solder on a ground connection on the back of a pot.... I got too much solder on there and it dropped off onto my inner thigh... WOW!

Molten lead close to the scrotum is no fun!

-Jack

I've been known to sit soldering in my bathrobe and briefs too, even around 2pm. :o And yes, whenever a tiny drop of solder hits your legs, you REALLY jump off your chair, the way women jump ON a chair, when they see a mouse.

• Members

So many times I lost count. An injury I particularly remember though was at an early age, first time pulling an 8 pin DIP out of a socket. It flipped over and all 8 pins went into my thumb simultaneously. Hurt even worse to pull it out but hardly any choice at that point. My first real shock was with an overly simplistic battery charger that used a light bulb and a diode only. The output is no longer 1.5 volts when you don't have a battery connected, it's 120.

Tube amps, the only real shock was 400 volts but barely grazed it. More of a burn than a shock.

I was working on a small Samsung projection TV and completed repairs but wanted to tidy up some wires, no big deal right? Apparently I touched a hot heat sink because my arms suddenly jumped backwards on their own accord about an inch and it felt like my whole body was punched. Took a while to convince myself I was OK after that. Last shock was a RCA. For some reason they have multiple connections on the convergence power supply board for the voltage doubler power input. 300+ V 1/2" apart.

Fortunately I didn't get shocked, but got fireworks when I accidently metered the focus voltage on a Toshiba while trying t measure G2 screen. 7000 volts, looked like a ball of fire 2" diameter around my meter probes. Fried my meter real good too. I have yet to be more than incidently stung by CRT anode voltage -- up to 35000 volts. I'm trying to keep it that way. The only good thing about HV is it doesn't really want you -- it wants ground. Just don't get caught in the middle. Can arc up to 2", seen it a few times too (BAP!).

• Moderators

Originally posted by Speeddemon

I've been known to sit soldering in my bathrobe and briefs too, even around 2pm.
:o
And yes, whenever a tiny drop of solder hits your legs, you REALLY jump off your chair, the way women jump ON a chair, when they see a mouse.

Along with the accompanying girlie screams! :D It is amazing how a bit of molten solder can pitch your voice up several octaves!

-Jack

Archived