Dealing with different pickup output levels

mdintx

• Members

Hey Folks,

The pickups on my Epi are alot hotter than the Agile or the Nelsonic. So my setting are totally off when I switch to the Epi. For example, the Bad Monkey will sound great with the gain at 3 o'clock with the Agile/Nelsonic but with the Epi, it's too much. To get a similar sound, I'd have to turn it back to 10/11 o'clock. I can turn down the volume on the Epi but that doesn't get me all the way there and I lose some of high frequencies.

How do you guys deal with this? Do you have a separate overdrive/distortion for a given guitar? Could I get a clean boost for the Agile/Nelsonic and dial it in so it closely matches the Epi? I'm open to suggestions.

• Members
Originally posted by desertlimosine

A lot of people use an eq set for different guitars. So you can use it to volume boost, and tweak the sound of your lower output guitars.

the Danelectro fish and chips comes recomended from lots of people on this forum.

:thu:

You could run it into another pedal and the pedal would behave as if it was seeing a guitar with hotter pickups?

• Members

Originally posted by mdintx

You could run it into another pedal and the pedal would behave as if it was seeing a guitar with hotter pickups?

an eq is a set of tone controls, and (generally) a master level. set it at the beginning of the chain, and it would see your guitar's pickup signal as it is, and you could boost some freqs and/or the master level, so everything else downstream (be it more pedals or just the amp) would be receiving a hotter signal.

^

this is all in regards to setting up your rig to go with the louder guitar, and then using the eq to up the levels of the quieter guitar.

it can be done the other way too, to use the eq to bring down the level (and freqs) of the louder guitar to match the quieter one.

Archived