Looking for a Marshall-esque Distortion

• Members

Ive got a decent selection of pedals that i use for my bass rig but im looking for one good pedal to give me that Marshall JCM like distortion for my guitar

I have a strat with a pearly gates in the bridge thru a fender pro Jr.

Im not looking for spot on JCM replica, just somehting in the area. At the moment ive been using a russian big muff for my drive needs and im looking for something a little more distortion like that takes palm muting a little better.

• Members

A modded boss ds-1. I've tried a lot of dirt pedals and this comes the closest (to my ears anyways). I modded mine by removing the clipping diodes, made it sound more natural, dynamic & touch responsive, reduced the amount of distortion, (there's still alot at full bore, more than I need), and increased the volume a {censored}load (turn the dist all the way down, and you got a killer boost). I also increased the value of the output cap which increased the bass response and and the pedal more usable and less "shrill" sounding.

I usually use the drive channel of my classic 50 for dist, but i used the boss today, and I was really digging the tones. very "full bodied" (this was with a tele), and the distortion fell somewhere between a jcm 900, and boogie mark 4 distortion. cleans up nice when you turn down too!!

You can get these things dirt cheap, and they're reliable and really simple to mod, try it out!!

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Crunch Box - $99 new

+1

Can't beat the price.

The only negative is that it doesn't clean up with lower volume knob levels as well as some Lovepedal stuff does. Then again, that's Sean @ Lovepedal's forte. Nearly everything he makes cleans up well like that.

• Members

I have the parts right now and am in the process of building a guvnor MK1, but the thing is, it will be a permanent fixture on my bass rig pedal board and im changing some of the values to accomodate bass better...

the hot british is a tad out of my price range... and i can get boosted tones with the fulltone bass drive that i have... im just looking for a thicker distortion,

Thanks for the suggestions so far... im looking into them right now.

Basically im looking to have two separate pedal boards, one for my guitar setup and one for my bass setup... and the guitar setup is the one that wont get the high priced stuff, which is why im looking around 150 bucks, I cant justify taking the bass drive off of my pedal board to use with guitar when I payed that much money for it and it works excellent for what I use it for. Although, the bassdrive isnt quite the sound im looking for either. I need something fuller.

• Members

There are a few COTs on eBay right now, if I were looking for Marshall-in-a-box I'd jump on 'em (check the lovepedal site for the difference between the "red" and "blue" models).

I haven't heard the MI Audio Crunchbox, but folks seem to dig those too and the price is hard to beat.

And if you're feeling a little spendier, there's the Menatone King Of The Britains. The graphics alone are worth at least 25 bucks.

Archived