FAB Echo, I wish it had a time nob.

Marthoyink

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by tocs100

Anyone "time" the Fab Echo with another pedal to see it's time (100ms?)? Also, do the repeats have a built-in hi-cut?

no but i will later today if no one else does-

the echoes do fade away pretty fast, even when you set repeats at full, you do get that long waterfall effect going and they do not seem to be overly bright, in fact when i kick it on i do loose a little high end but thats cool with me as i run my strats somewhat bright to get that punch with the neck, so i like darker repeats

not warm like analog but darker than the attack if that makes any sense

i got mine just to have one set for slapbacks and keep my other set for the long stuff. it is picky about power supply with a little hum that changes with power supplies - my old wal-mart supply thats been joined with a daisy chain did the trick

i like keeping it set slap and throw 2 delays on together. i think it is a fine little slapback echoe but i have had a PB&J before and if i saw it in the spam thread before getting this i would have gotten it - i do think the slaps are pretty similar in terms of quality but at least a little bit of time shift would have been great, even with short slaps i like to match the tempo of the song and you just cant do it with this.

so overall id say im happy with it, i wasnt expecting alot of versatility - and if someone wants a quick slap echo it will do that well, but it does not do much else

• Members

Originally posted by Marthoyink

Buying 2 FAB echoes wouldn't give you a longer delay at all, all it would do is give you 2 echoes at the same time (right?).

Nooooooooohhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!

;)

Buy something cheap and its crap, therefore go out and spend more cash and buy something that does the job properly.

• Members

The PB&J is an awesome delay pedal. If it didn't clip with the active pickups on my electric upright bass, I'd have one on my board right now.

It's cheap? So what? It sounds fantastic.

Besides the woeful clipping issue, it's my favorite delay. I'm eventually picking up another to put on my guitar pedalboard.

• Members

Originally posted by tocs100

D. Dan, what would you recommend for an inexpensive delay? Maybe the Ibanez DE7 @ $70? or the Dano PB&J @ $60?

Sorry mate, can't really help you with this one, I have the boss DD-3 which isn't cheap but is very good.

I have tried the dano peanut butter on another guitarists rig and it was very good, I'd probably get it as a replacement if mine broke.

I've heard good things about the new bheringer pedal.s that are basically boss copies (meant to have good electronics). Tried the digitech hmxdd but sounded too processed for me.

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

There's a reason it's a $15 pedal. You should be able to buy a delay with a few more features for much less than it would cost to mod.

The cost to mod the pedal for adjustable delay time is the cost of a pot and some wire. The echo is based around the PT2399 digital delay chip, which is used in a number of DIY pedal designs already. The delay time in the chip is controlled from pin 6 of the chip via a resistor to ground. Currently, there is a fixed resistor to give the short echo sound.

A 100k pot in there should give you up to 1 second of delay... however, anything beyond 600ms will start to get lo-fi (this may be your thing)**

** Theoretically. I haven't done the mod yet, I'm waiting on the pot to arrive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by CountZero

A 100k pot in there should give you up to 1 second of delay... however, anything beyond 600ms will start to get lo-fi (this may be your thing)**

** Theoretically. I haven't done the mod yet, I'm waiting on the pot to arrive.

Any luck with this?

Archived