EHX Deluxe Memory Man - settings?

sonaboy

• Members

i have a PRS McCarty with humbuckers i really like - but i'll be damned if the DMM i'm experimenting with right now completely overloads and grits out when i play anything through it.

is this pedal designed to work better with single coils, or what?

also, how does the delay time knob affect the chorus/vibrato setting? does it?

i can't seem to get a subtle effect out of it when i put it in the mix..it gets all severely detuned without much control to it.

how do you guys set yours?

the music i play is in my sig, it's more dreamy indie rock - a little interpol, cure, U2, EITS, godspeed, mogwai, etc...

tips?

• Members

Is yours a true bypass one?

If it's not, get it TB'd and it seems to get a litte more headroom. Yeah, it does favor single coils.

The time does not affect the chorus. I like a fair amount of chorus on mine, but I set it at 6 ockock, straight down. Which really is not too much, it can get whacky. Try the vibrato some guys who do not like the chorus, give a tiny bit of vibrato instead.

• Members

Yeah, I've heard a few bucker players say that the overload light never switches off their DMM...

Howard Davis does a mod to extend the headroom. You might be able to justify it by getting the delay time mod at the same time, so you get the full advertised 550ms as opposed to the 390ms most owners report as being the max dely on tap.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

Yeah, I've heard a few bucker players say that the overload light never switches off their DMM...

Howard Davis does a mod to extend the headroom. You might be able to justify it by getting the delay time mod at the same time, so you get the full advertised 550ms as opposed to the 390ms most owners report as being the max dely on tap.

yeah, well..what's weird is - the guy that sent it to me claims that it DID have the head room mod installed.

so i was like, damn! what did it sound like before?!?!

• Members

I also keep the chorus/vibrato at 6 o'clock. It's the sweet spot for me for either one.

The light is always coming on saying I'm overloading, but it doesn't distort, and I drive my signal fairly hard. Are you really driving your signal before it? Maybe it's too much?

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

I also keep the chorus/vibrato at 6 o'clock. It's the sweet spot for me for either one.

The light is always coming on saying I'm overloading, but it doesn't distort, and I drive my signal fairly hard. Are you really driving your signal before it? Maybe it's too much?

nope, i'm not driving it at all, really.

i use my bridge humbucker on the PRS and it's a biting distortion sound if i go higher than like 8 'oclock levels, and i had it as the second pedal in the chain, right behind my zoom ultra fuzz (which is off, most of the time)

i didn't know that you can't turn this input boost OFF when you turn the effect off either - that took me by surprise.

so apparently, the Deluxe Memory Man is a 4 effect box in 1 - distortion, chorus, vibrato and delay!

• Members

Originally posted by gregovertone

i bought a DMM. not TB. overloaded all the time. couldn't get into that pedal. sold it cheap.

not to change the subject.......

you still comin to chicago?

i went last week for some R&R, but ultimately, the show we were trying to book never worked out.

we're still playing in Iowa City on friday, so if you or anyone feels like driving 3 hours from Chicago to see 4 bands from KC, and a bunch of others (apparently it's a music festival, like a mini-SXSW) - that's where we'll be on friday night.

we're doing an all-ages show early, with Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. we play Gabe's Oasis at around 7:30, and Roman Numerals plays at around 10:30 for the late, over-21 crowd.

• Members

damn :D

the iowa show sounds like a good time.....but i dont know that i could work that one out :D

id say my new band is about 2 months away from gigging (if we bust our asses). we'll have you up for a show or two, and we can put you up as well.

in due time.... :D

• Members

Originally posted by gregovertone

damn
:D

the iowa show sounds like a good time.....but i dont know that i could work that one out

id say my new band is about 2 months away from gigging (if we bust our asses). we'll have you up for a show or two, and we can put you up as well.

in due time....

absolutely - we're down with that.

• Members

I play a PRS with 'buckers (obvious, I guess) and haven't had that problem with my DMM... Have you tried fiddling with the LEVEL knob? I recall that did something and kept the overload light from popping on all the time... (It's been a while since I've played through mine, sorry to be so vague.)

The time does not affect the chorus

This is not true. The Delay Time setting definitely affects the Chorus. E.g. if you're using a short delay time setting, you have to dial in MORE Chorus/Vibrato to achieve the desired effect. At the maximum Delay Time setting, you can only add a touch of C/V (6 o'clock is perfect, as others have stated) before things start sounding detuned/wild.

I usually ran my DMM with Delay Time near Max, C/V at 6 o'clock, and it sounded fantastic. However, it sucked tone a bit, and now that I have a Memory Lane, it sounds dull and diluted by comparison.

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

I play a PRS with 'buckers (obvious, I guess) and haven't had that problem with my DMM... Have you tried fiddling with the LEVEL knob? I recall that did something and kept the overload light from popping on all the time... (It's been a while since I've played through mine, sorry to be so vague.)

The time does not affect the chorus

This is not true. The Delay Time setting definitely affects the Chorus. E.g. if you're using a short delay time setting, you have to dial in MORE Chorus/Vibrato to achieve the desired effect. At the maximum Delay Time setting, you can only add a touch of C/V (6 o'clock is perfect, as others have stated) before things start sounding detuned/wild.

I usually ran my DMM with Delay Time near Max, C/V at 6 o'clock, and it sounded fantastic. However, it sucked tone a bit, and now that I have a Memory Lane, it sounds dull and diluted by comparison.

well, yeah, i mean - i fiddled with all the knobs to get the grit out of the signal path, and the level had to be set down near about 7 oclock, and the mix knob also had to be set pretty low, because it would suck all the attack out of my playing.

but thanks for the tip on the chorus being affected by the delay time. i thought that's what was happening.

this is a very sensitive delay - a big difference can be noted by just moving one of the dials literally a millimeter, sometimes.

:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

by the way, THIS GUY

http://www.fxdoctor.com/

does mods that claim to resolve the exact problems you're having.

I can't vouch for him, but check the descriptions and see what you think.

do not get this from fxdoctor, you'll never get your pedal back or get it fixed. do a search for him and you'll find out :(

Archived