You all Want To See Something that Kicks Ass? (I'm Serious)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The first time I ever heard Hum mentioned was years ago (maybe 2000?) during the judging in my high school battle of the bands. Some radio station guy said our band sounded like Hum and none of us knew who they were.

I went out and bought "You'd Prefer an Astronaut" just to see what they were all about and I'm glad I did. I still love that CD despite the fact I could never find a similarity between our band and them. Our drummers had similar styles, and maybe one could make a case for our singer too...

I've still never heard "Downward is Heavenward". Am I a bad person?

I'd love to see something like that live too. I bet it's SO freaking loud...

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

i don't think it's a question of one guitar, i think it's a question of two guitars with two amps each and a bass guitar closely backing what they do.

maybe let the AC30 drive a 4x12 cab...but i don't know if the distortion is the same sound as the Orange gets. i'd doubt it.

ok, so i spotted the orange, the v-4 and the hiwatt...what's the 4th amp?

• Members

First time I saw HUM I went into the bathroom before the encore. I was feeling a little sick because it was so unbelievably loud. As I was running the water the band started playing again and the stream of water from the faucet curved with every bass hit. That was crazy.

Yeah, their tone is about my favorite of all time. Thicker than anything else I've heard; both live and on the CD. Amazingly enough he uses an old DF-2 as his distortion pedal.

Gear link here

Interestingly enough "You'd Perfer an Astronaut" recorded by Keith Cleversly mainly uses Mesas as the amps. I heard it straight from Keith himself.

As for "Downward is Heavenward" the sound that Matt Rubel got on that record is otherworldly. Just about my favorite production of all time.

• Members

Originally posted by lesigh6239

I see...what year were they around?

actually, i take that back - Matt had begun to experiment with louder, wall of sound guitars on his earlier band, Honcho Overload, but didn't actually debut the Hum sound until around 1993. Basically the same time as SP did Siamese Dream.

Matt and Billy C definitely shared influences, no doubt - mainly, My Bloody Valentine, Lush and Ride.

• Members

What do you mean "debut the Hum sound?"

"Electra 2000," the first Hum Record came out in 1993. Before that a album with a different bassist called "Fillet Show" was released in 1991.

Honcho Overload was Matt's earlier band in which he played bass. It disbanded in 1995

But, at least since 1993 and "Electra 2000," Hum had that sound, and continued to have it until they disbanded in 2000.

I believe Matt Played Oranges from the beginning.

• Members

Originally posted by Barnabyhuggins

What do you mean "debut the Hum sound?"

"Electra 2000," the first Hum Record came out in 1993. Before that a album with a different bassist called "Fillet Show" was released in 1991.

Honcho Overload was Matt's earlier band in which he played bass. It disbanded in 1995

But, at least since 1993 and "Electra 2000," Hum had that sound, and continued to have it until they disbanded in 2000.

I believe Matt Played Oranges from the beginning.

yeah yeah, i know - i'm all screwed up - i'm missing almost an entire decade for some reason.

and i own the Honcho Overload CD, i don't know why i said "Honky" - that's Jeff Pinkus' band from Butthole Surfers, who came through recently.

i meant to retract my statement saying that Hum had that sound "way before" Spumpkins - which they didn't - it was around the same time.

• Members
Originally posted by negative theory

The first night in Pittsburgh, I happened to get to the front of the stage and that was the first time I had ever heard an Orange in person. Wow!
:thu:

I think I was at that show too. My high school girlfriend dragged me to it-- I had no idea you could be so loud as a band!:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Barnabyhuggins

First time I saw HUM I went into the bathroom before the encore. I was feeling a little sick because it was so unbelievably loud. As I was running the water the band started playing again and the stream of water from the faucet curved with every bass hit. That was crazy.

Literally LOL!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by dinrodef

Anti-racism indoctrination DOES NOT take place in wealthy countries like Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan...HRMMM I wonder why?.....Maybe an intellectual can answer that question for me

Well, I am not an intellectual, but I'll give it a shot.

One thing I notice about these three countries is that their development has taken place without a significant non-'native' minority. In the united states an Anglo upperclass imported africans and had to subsequently interact with them from the 1500s through to the present. Because our country has had to interact with strong ethnic minorities (mostly driven by economic necessity) an anti-racist ideology came about.

Oh yeah, and I liked the way HUM sounded, very full.

• Members

i taped hum on conan o'brien when they played stars and you could feel the volume through the tv it was so loud.

on conan, matt was using two heads, an old mesa mark head and an orange with a boss feedbacker and tim was using an old mesa head with an ibanez powerlead soundtank.

also in the booklet for 'downward' you can see tons of amps including a v-4.

i've owned a few v-4's and that amp is amazing at achieving the hum sound. thick clean tones painted with dirt boxes for a massive wall of sound.

i've made numerous posts about hum on here in my time. hum and failure have to be the two most under-rated bands from the 90's.

• Members
Originally posted by clayton explode

i taped hum on conan o'brien when they played stars and you could feel the volume through the tv it was so loud.

on conan, matt was using two heads, an old mesa mark head and an orange with a boss feedbacker and tim was using an old mesa head with an ibanez powerlead soundtank.

also in the booklet for 'downward' you can see tons of amps including a v-4.

i've owned a few v-4's and that amp is amazing at achieving the hum sound. thick clean tones painted with dirt boxes for a massive wall of sound.

i've made numerous posts about hum on here in my time. hum and failure have to be the two most under-rated bands from the 90's.

would you like to know a secret?

the "hum sound" isn't totally dependent on big ass Orange and Ampeg amps.
GWguitarstack.jpg

see that little amp there? that's basically an RCA branded 1x12 combo, but i'm basically sure it's a direct relative of the old Silvertone amps.
the amp is about 15 watts, and has tremolo and a master volume on it.

when you crank that thing with the right mic placement on it, it absolutely roars. no joke. we didn't use it on our EP while there, but Matt mic'd it up in case we wanted to for a while. I played it for a while, and it was nice and glassy up until about noon on the master vol, but after that, something would happen and this thing would just start burning.
GWampstack2.jpg

that little amp was all over Downward and Astronaut, just so you guys know.

• Members

I remember taping this when it first aired. In fact, I think I still have the tattered VHS tape somewhere. I was really impressed with these guys, as dorky as they seemed. Its hard to pull off the thick heavy 'wall of guitar' sound tastefully without sounding like white noise. I'd love to hear them do more stuff.

Archived