help me spend some money

p90teleman

• Members

Originally posted by utterhack

In all honesty, that looks like a pretty well-sorted rig to me.

You might think about adding some flavors (no muff/variant? no fuzzface/variant?) or colors (no flanger?) but there's nothing there that begs for an upgrade.

Of the boutiquey stuff I've had personal experience with, I'd heartily recommend...

Euthymia (fuzz deluxe)

Lovepedal (no one can have just one)

Menatone (if you like the bad Monkey, you could love the Red Snapper)

Subdecay (great tones, no clones)

All great guys making great effects. (MrSage, Speeddemon, Skreddy, you're all going to be on that list someday too!)

The non-handbuilt Jacques pedals are pretty great too, though since they don't come in a stock enclosure and aren't TB not everyone would call them boutique.

For your styles, you probably need OD more than distortion, but since you're plugging into a Fender with potentially limitless clean headroom, you might want a Marshall-in-a-box. Contenders there (by reputation, since I haven't played any of these) would be:

Lovepedal COT 50

MI Audio Crunchbox

Menatone King of the Britains

Tonebone Hot British

And probably a few others I'm forgetting...

Let us know what you try - and don't be afraid to do some taste tests and sell 'em on if need be!

good call on the Subdecay...was listening to their clips at pedalgeek.com......not many people have a od pedal that "doesnt" have a tone knob:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by p90teleman

Yeah, I'm aware of the fact CS-3 is not great.I read bunch of threads about other stuff.Tonepress, Diamond and Keeley seem attractive.But every now and then I see a CS-3 on say David Grissom's (mine is set just like his) or Nels Cline's pedalboard I say 'if it fits them...'.

I agree it kills some high end(I like that!) and it messes with tone overall...the moment I try something else I'll be FULLY aware of what you say.Meanwhile...I'm fine.

I heard people say Tonepress and Monte's mod kits are too transparent?
:freak:

usually people that claim monte's cs-3 is too transparent seem to like the tone suck on the stock cs-3..

or something like that..

to me it is impossible to be "too transparent".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm still with upgrading the OD.

The Bad Monkey is good, great for the money.. However, if you're interested in "going boutique," you should get an OCD or a Timmy or a Fulldrive 2.. or Lovepedal or Xotic..

eh, too many. Depends on what you need.

• Members

I'm using TS side of J&H as my main OD.

After watching the demo on musictoyz.com I think I want the Red Snapper to replace the Monkey or whatever.

thing is my budget is limited at the moment and family members wanna get me somethin' to have fun with.

never played a Muff so...

and yeah Timmy seems like a obvioius choice for everyone.

Archived