is this a good amp trade (fender people come in)

iwantpedals

• Members

so, I have a '66 Bandmaster Head and a 70's 212 fender cab with oxfords. got them both for 800.

someone offered a trade that would be that amp/cab setup for a fender super 6 reverb and then he'd throw in a randall amp that i could pawn off.

if anyone knows who minus the bear is i sound exactly like them. anyways it's like prog/electro/indie music that i play and the rest of my setup is *typically* a 72' RI thinline tele, into a boss cs3 compressor> TS9 RI > dl4 > dl4 > jamman.

i also have a '61 RI SG and a strat... might get a PRS soon.

edit: for those who don't know i think that a super six is basically a fender twin brain stuck into a nice 610 cab with jensens. he also had the amp blackfaced, but said that it was basically blackface specs originally.

I'd keep the Bandmaster unless you

1. Need the extra clean headroom.

2. LOVE the sound of a 6X10 cabinet.

3. Have a really hot chiropractor who you'd like to hook up with and need a "non-excuse" reason to visit her often. Those Super Six combo cabs are HUGE and make a Twin feel light by comparison. They're a cast iron PITA to move around and won't fit easily into many vehicles.

• Members

ideally i think i'd like to just get a '65 TRRI because i might be touring come summer time and i'll feel a bit better about it having a new sturdy amp. plus i'll have a couple hundred left to keep saved up for tubes, food, gas, dl4 replacements (grr) or whatever else. thanks a lot! what do you guys think of the 65 TRRI?

steveo, where in Seattle are you located?

• Members

do you have a van?
does it have casters?
do you have a dolly/hand cart?
do you need the extra head room?

if the answer to this questions is yes then do it. i would.

now if i did get the super 6 i would, covert he amp into a 4x12 basically a half stack combo.

unless you wann keep it original. than keep the randall as back up special since your going on tour

• Members

Those 70's Fender 2x12 cabinets are as big as a Fridgedaire. Ridiculous. If you can handle that, you can surely handle the Super 6.

In terms of power, the SSR has the BM beat to the carpet. Probably in terms of tone as well, assuming that everything is electronically and physicaly sound, including speakers.

Btw, there's nothing inherent about a new amp that makes it one bit more sturdy, road-worthy, or reliable than a vintage amp that's been fully brought to specs. In fact, some would argue that the PCB construction makes them less reliable and road-worthy.

Archived