Best Boost Pedal for Metal

• Members

since you're into metal, the Bad Monkey might be too subtle for you... depending on how heavy you wanna go, and what kind of music you're into, start with the BOSS DS-1, but keep the tone down low, as it's pretty bright-sounding. If that doesn't trip yer trigger, then try the Metal Zone or the Digitech Death Metal(I own one).

You do NOT have to spend $200 on some hand-made boutique pedal to get a metal tone.

What kinda bands are you into?

• Members

Originally posted by blackmoreisgod

since you're into metal, the Bad Monkey might be too subtle for you... depending on how heavy you wanna go, and what kind of music you're into, start with the BOSS DS-1, but keep the tone down low, as it's pretty bright-sounding. If that doesn't trip yer trigger, then try the Metal Zone or the Digitech Death Metal(I own one).

You do NOT have to spend $200 on some hand-made boutique pedal to get a metal tone.

What kinda bands are you into?

Yea i was thinking that the BM may be too subtle for me. Im am going to go for more of a Pantera/Metallica style sound.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeptallica13

Yea i was thinking that the BM may be too subtle for me. Im am going to go for more of a Pantera/Metallica style sound.

of course there's zillions of pedals out there, and everyone has their preferences, but for what you're talking about something like the BOSS Metal Zone is right up your alley, not too expensive, and easily available just about anywhere.

Check out the mp3 podcast on the BOSS site for tips on getting a good thick tone with it.

• Members

Originally posted by nosferatu123

What you need is a Boss SD-1 w/Keeley 5-star mod, mint condition, box, manual and note from Keeley, Burr Brown and TI chips included and a Rocktek Compressor, both of which should come to about $125...

:thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members

Boss SD-1 will do it. I'm pushing the front of my RG100ES with it now and it sounds unbelievably brutal. It does lose some bottom end but the RG100ES has so much just compensate with your EQ. I would like to try the Bad Monkey as well because some say it has a smoother bassier sound to it.

• Members

Originally posted by blackmoreisgod

start with the BOSS DS-1, but keep the tone down low, as it's pretty bright-sounding. If that doesn't trip yer trigger, then try the Metal Zone or the Digitech Death Metal

the guy wants a BOOST, not a stand-alone metaldistortion.

The key to getting a great metaltone is grit, volume and tightness. This means your boost needs to be capable of a little drive itself for the grit, has a loss of low-end for the tightness and lots of output.

In the affordable category that would give you:

Boss OD-3, Boss BD-2, Ibanez TS9, Marshall The Guv'nor MKI (the old black one).

Set the gain low (below 10 o' clock) and the level maxed. Not too much low-end (already standard on the TS9).

The Boss SD-1 might be a better choice if your amp is really woofy, since it has way less low-end than the OD-3 and BD-2.

The OD-3 is one of the few of these that will sound stellar as a stand alone overdrive too.

and if you DO decide to get a metal distortion, stay away from the MT-2 Metalzone, MZ-2 Digital Metalizer and get a Line 6 Ubermetal or a Zoom Driver 5000!

Archived