Ibanez TS9 with JRC 4558 chip

halford

• Members

there is one of these for sale in my area

Ibanez TS9 with JRC 4558 chip

can anyone give me any info on this chip?

i was looking at getting a Maxon OD808 or a Boss Tubescreamer (not sure what model)

im borrowing a TSDX (the one with 4 knobs) and im not that impressed with it...

im running it though a 5150.

i dont really need it - but everyone seems to use something like this with it and wanna see what the hype is about.

thanks guys!

• Members

{censored} never mind i thoguht you where in the US.

well i got one and i like it so i want another so i can stack the sound , do you know if it is an orignal from the 80s or a reissue that has been modded?

a new reissue sell for $100 dollar new here if it s an original they sell for arounf $125- $150 but they are goinf up in value since the ts808 is so expencive an hard to find and the ts-9 with the jrc4558 sounds good and can easilly be modded to ts808 specs , just 2 resistor changes.

• Members

the ts-808 is considered the holy grail of Tube screamer ciuits. is was designed to well make the tubes scream, on it self it really a very nice tubey overdrive. it has a tasty mid range hump, the highs are smooth and the low are tighter mainly cause it cuts some of.

the ts-9 is the same cicuit only thing is that they changed the two output resistors to make it more solid state amp friendly. early ts-9 had the jrc4558d chips this are the one that are acclaimed with the better tone ,the new reissues use a ta75558 chip. some people claim this are harsher.

bth chips are a 4558 type chip so they are interchangable but tthe jrc4558 chip was what used in the orignal and their tone is sought after. ta75558 chip is a modern revised version of the 4558 chip with is suposedc to be quieter and a lil higher fidelity, but the cheap old design 4558 seem to work better in the ts circuit.

basically when people are aqfter the Tuibe screamer tone they want the 808 sound, wich is nice and warm with a viontage vibe. and since the ts9 and ts-9 reissues are the use the same cicuit excpet the output resistor values and chip its a really easy mod to get the 808 sound.

the ts-9setting o the ts-9dx is the same as a regular tube screamer. this can be modded as well.

i got a reissue ts-9 with the 808 + brown mod

basically the chip was changed to a NOS jrc4558d chip, the outpute resistors where changed to the correct 808 value using carbon composition resistors witch have a warmer tone, and two tother resistors witch i dont really know what they do where changed to carbon comp as well.

i tried this pedal a/b with the stock ts-9 and a ts-9dx, i i chose this one cause it is really smooth. the other where a lil harsher,

i'm thinking of either getting another ts-9 or a ts-9dx and modding it for the 808 sound plus taking advantage of the mode knob for other sounds.

• Members

well maybe , ts-9 is a pretty old design. so yeah it was geared more towards older amps int he late 70 early 80 and they wrok wonders on the older based amps. like fenders and fender like amps witch had a scooped mid.

here cheack this site out a lot more info in this page on the tube screamer

www.analogman.com

aslo some clips and stuff of before an aftert mod tubescreamer.

the ts9dx can be modded to 808 specs as well and then you have the other modes for different tones.

try this

drive at 10:00

tone at 12:00

level at 2:30

and use it as a solo boost instead of a normal od.

the mid range hump helps to thicken the solo and the extra volume boost helps bring you in front of the mix

• Members

Don't go to fast into the deal yet...

The 4558 chip is just a very common ic that you can get for about 40 cents or something like that... its not even a great audio use opamp (there are more expensive and better ones, although the 4558 might be suited well for the ts9)... & the difference between NOS and current production will probably be very little.

I don't know if the ts9 with the 4558 will sound much better than a ts9dx if its only the ic that has been modded... if other things such as caps, resistors and diodes have been modded then the tone will be a lot different (like the keeley or indyguitarist mods), but if its only the ic chip, than I think the tone will be quite similar to the ts9dx... only marginally better...

Also, the 4558 chip might not be the best ic chip you could put in the ts9.... A lot of modders like the NE5532, Burr Brown OP2134 or something like that, and there are a ton of different ic chips that you can put in the ts9...

Also note that the ic chip affects the sound, but not as much as cap changes, diode changes etc...

Check this page out... It has some info on the tube screamer...

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxfram.htm

So please be careful... It might be that you don't like tubescreamer type overdrives

• Members

hey koolimy,

im not gonna rush into it - prolly wont even get it. gonna have another play with the ts9dx and see again.

thanks for your input - ive learned more about the inside of pedals today than ive learnt in the last few years!

• Members

Originally posted by usa83strat

the ts-808 is considered the holy grail of Tube screamer ciuits. is was designed to well make the tubes scream, on it self it really a very nice tubey overdrive. it has a tasty mid range hump, the highs are smooth and the low are tighter mainly cause it cuts some of.

the ts-9 is the same cicuit only thing is that they changed the two output resistors to make it more solid state amp friendly. early ts-9 had the jrc4558d chips this are the one that are acclaimed with the better tone ,the new reissues use a ta75558 chip. some people claim this are harsher.

bth chips are a 4558 type chip so they are interchangable but tthe jrc4558 chip was what used in the orignal and their tone is sought after. ta75558 chip is a modern revised version of the 4558 chip with is suposedc to be quieter and a lil higher fidelity, but the cheap old design 4558 seem to work better in the ts circuit.

basically when people are aqfter the Tuibe screamer tone they want the 808 sound, wich is nice and warm with a viontage vibe. and since the ts9 and ts-9 reissues are the use the same cicuit excpet the output resistor values and chip its a really easy mod to get the 808 sound.

the ts-9setting o the ts-9dx is the same as a regular tube screamer. this can be modded as well.

i got a reissue ts-9 with the 808 + brown mod

basically the chip was changed to a NOS jrc4558d chip, the outpute resistors where changed to the correct 808 value using carbon composition resistors witch have a warmer tone, and two tother resistors witch i dont really know what they do where changed to carbon comp as well.

i tried this pedal a/b with the stock ts-9 and a ts-9dx, i i chose this one cause it is really smooth. the other where a lil harsher,

i'm thinking of either getting another ts-9 or a ts-9dx and modding it for the 808 sound plus taking advantage of the mode knob for other sounds.

Hey Yo, good message on the TS-9 brother. Just seeing what's cooking on HCFX. I need a good Fuzz Face bad, but need $$$! Still got that TS-9DX MOD. if you're interested!

Archived