Running Effects Stereo

cutlerman

• Members

OK...here is my problem. I have several stereo effects that I want to run into my two amps. I have an Analogman Clone Chorus (stereo), a Maxon Rotary Phaser (stereo), and Flanger (stereo) and a Line 6 FM-4 (stereo). My dilema is that I want to have the stereo capacity on each of these pedals. What is the best way to do it? Running them all mono to the last pedal then going stereo won't give me true stereo except on the last pedal, right? Any suggestions?

• Members

with only two amps and only the fm-4 with stereo inputs you'll have to make a compromise. my suggestion would be to run two parallel modulation chains after one stereo pedal. just remember that each side is going to be a seperate signal path. I'd suggest picking the mod pedal with the most dramatic stereo effect to split the signal. I'd assume that's the rotary phaser, but I've never played any of them (minus the fm4) for instance,
phaser L out > fm4 L in/out > chorus > amp a
phaser R out > fm4 R in/out> flange > amp b
you'll actually be running the chorus and flange in mono but each will be on different sides of the spectrum and could have interesting results.
and if you run the fm-4 in stereo, the spin cycle setting is very effective. each side is an auto wah, and they are opposite each other. if I remember, that is one of the only real stereo effects on the fm4, it mostly just has dual signal path capability.

• Members

if you want to risk it, there is a dod 240 mixer that has 4 inputs, one output with levels for each. I'll warn you though, I have one and I noticed slight tone loss (this was at the beginning of my chain, it may be different at the end). they are insanely cheap and can be had for under $20. they are also some of the ugliest pedals this side of the tonecore series.

Archived