Who has got a two amp setup?

stompboxx

• Members

I don't.
:wave:

But I'm pondering the following setup which I can pull off once my valvetech hayseed 15 1x12 is complete:

Hayseed set for mild grind/dirty clean-->Hotplate-->Hayseed speaker (Weber alnico blue dog)

Hotplate Line Out-->Guitar INput of Mesa Blue Angel with reverb up pretty high set on 38 watt mode (all tubes)-->Kingsley 2x12 cab with G12H30 and Alnico Weber blue dog.

taco

• Members

me !

Valevetech Hayseed 30...2x12 combo loaded with alnico blue and ceramic blue....both 30 watts each.

+

Hiwatt DR504 + Hiwatt 4x12 loaded with Fanes.

I have the Valvetech set on the Top Boost channel.....on the edge of breaking up. Very voxy and great semi-clean sound.

I set the hiwatt for clean but punchy sound. Together they formj a great duo for my pedals and guitars.

• Members

--JMP 2203 for distortion
--Twin Reverb for cleans

Half my pedalboard goes to one amp, the other half goes to the other. ABY switches back and forth.

I figure those amps will cover a lot of ground for me in the future. Now, I might finally be able to buy some nicer guitars, pedals, keyboards, and everything else I want :)

• Members

Are you interested in a stereo setup or switching between 2 amps for different tones? If the former, then here you go:

-My guitar goes into my effects on the floor (if you're interested, Super Chile Picoso>Boss PS-5>Boss Touch Wah>SmallStone>4msTremulus Lune>boss tuner)

-Then it goes to my rack where I have my GRX4 MIDI switcher to switch between Clean/Rat/TeaserStallion/8bit fuzz.
(This is controlled from the floor with a MFC5)

-Then the signal goes back to the pedal board and into a Boss DD3. It comes out in stereo into a Boss DD20. And the stereo signal comes out of there and into my two amps.

I don't consider this a true 2-amp setup mainly because, while my primary amp is a Dual Rectifier, the second amp is a Peavy rage practice amp. But it gets the stereo job done in my room.

A couple notes:
-I originally had my tuner at the end of the signal chain (I think it reduces noise) but of course that had to be moved to before the stereo split so that it would mute both amps.

-The best part about this setup is that, since the MIDI switcher is before the stereo split, I can effectively switch between clean/OD/distortion/fuzz on both amps with one button press.

-The downside is the amount of wires. guitar to board to rack to board to amps.

I'll have some pics up soon. Just gotta figure out how to get some power cables tucked away in the rack (duct tape isn't holding them to the ceiling)

• Members
Originally posted by stompboxx

Tell me all about it!
:)

me - i use a 77 Marshall JMP with an Ampeg 4x12
and an Ampeg Superjet 1x12 on the other side.

the way i set myself up is: i'm in a 3 piece, and many times i'll use my Akai Headrush sampler to do loops on the fly that i harmonize with.

so my effects path is like this:

Zoom Ultra Fuzz > Boss DD5 > Line 6 Tap Trem (stereo split):
side one skips the Akai Headrush, and goes directly into a Line 6 DL 4 right side input/output to my Ampeg.

side two goes through the headrush into the Line 6 DL4 left side mono input/output and drives the JMP/4x12.

this lets me send the signal with every effect, minus the loop, so the smaller, glassier sounding amp gets what i'm playing live only, and doesn't get muddied with the loop while i harmonize my parts. meanwhile, the big brawny beast JMP handles what can sometimes be incredible signal levels.

if you listen to the song called "My Shell Shocked Snail Shell" at the Myspace link in my sig, you can actually hear how the signal level came close to blowing a Fender Bandmaster, as the song fades out with the loop i created, you can hear it sputter and crackle.
when the engineer gave me the all-clear, i had to quickly shut it off and let it cool down. Fortunately it worked just fine the next morning after a break.

:freak::D

• Members

I've just started running my Cornell Romany Plus alongside my Valve Junior. It's not so much a stereo thing (although I am intending to get a bit of stereo delay action from my DL4), more that the top-and-bottom Fender-style tone of the Cornell and the midrange honk of the Epi complement each other, resulting in a massive tone :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

I don't.

But I'm pondering the following setup which I can pull off once my valvetech hayseed 15 1x12 is complete:

Hayseed set for mild grind/dirty clean-->Hotplate-->Hayseed speaker (Weber alnico blue dog)

Hotplate Line Out-->Guitar INput of Mesa Blue Angel with reverb up pretty high set on 38 watt mode (all tubes)-->Kingsley 2x12 cab with G12H30 and Alnico Weber blue dog.

taco

On second thought, I'd probably just slave into the power amp of the Blue Angel thereby bypassing the preamp and reverb. So it really wouldn't result in any sort of stereo imaging. More for volume increase when the hayseed 15 isn't enough.

• Members

Two Carrs most of the time; Carr 2x12 Hammerhead and a Carr 2x12 Rambler in a stereo set up. Had Steve Carr build both in Rambler Cabinets in wine so it looks like two of the same amp. El-34's in the Hammerhead set for alittle dirt and 6l6's in the Rambler set for clean, all other tones are done by pedals for desired distortion/gain and boost. Dave Fox's pedals are most of my board; Octron>Zim>CCII vibe>Zim>CCII octivia and Fuzz>TZF>(stereo here out)>Boss CE-20>Boss DD 6>Boss DD-20.
Sometimes add a Mesa Bottle Rocket for cascading tube tones.

Lou

• Members

When I actually play a place where I can fit it all in:

Les Paul Standard/ PRS Standard 24 (Various other Gibson & Fenders) > Vox Wah>Pharoh Top Boost (original in Conduit box), Fulldrive II, DD-3 (Quick Slap), TS-9(808, brown mod), Rotosphere, ABY into A.) Mesa Mark IIB Combo for Mostly Cleans and some Lead tones, or B.) Mesa DC-5 Head with 4x12 Rec cab for crunch and Leads.

:( my Mark needs some servicing though.....

• Members

it seems that there are many ways how to make two amps combo. there are some of them:
- dirt and clean amp (clean one can be some nice SS too. or clean can be some powerful tube amb with big headroom and dirt amp some cranked low power tube amp).
- brighter and more dark sounding amp (for bigger sound)
- "american" and "british" sounding amp (for, i don't know, richer sound?)

• Members

I had a twin reverb/ac30 going for about aweek, btu the ac30 was a money making buy from the get go so it went when it had to, but if i had to cash to get one again to keep i would. It complemented my twin elegantly

• Members

Originally posted by Onswah

I had a twin reverb/ac30 going for about aweek, btu the ac30 was a money making buy from the get go so it went when it had to, but if i had to cash to get one again to keep i would. It complemented my twin elegantly

I see you're from Cleveland. Are you a fan of the Steamers?

• Members

when ive got some cash im going to get a four amp system going for bedroom playing and some small gigs. my orange crush 30r and roland bass cube 30 running clean in the centre and then two keyboard amps running in stereo with all the lovely stereo effects i can get my hands on. not sure what keyboard amps i'll go for. maybe the roland cm-30 or carlsbro colt journeyman. they look good but there are a fair few cheap peavey and simular brand amps that go on on ebay for cheap too. all my time on this forum in the past few weeks has been reading about stereo stuff :)

• Members
Originally posted by percyexpat

when ive got some cash im going to get a four amp system going for bedroom playing and some small gigs. my orange crush 30r and roland bass cube 30 running clean in the centre and then two keyboard amps running in stereo with all the lovely stereo effects i can get my hands on. not sure what keyboard amps i'll go for. maybe the roland cm-30 or carlsbro colt journeyman. they look good but there are a fair few cheap peavey and simular brand amps that go on on ebay for cheap too. all my time on this forum in the past few weeks has been reading about stereo stuff
:)

4?!? That's nuts.

• Members
Originally posted by stompboxx

4?!? That's nuts.

well yeah, its effectively running both a stereo rig and clean/dirty at the same time. its an experiment, i might decide its bull{censored} but im liking the idea in principle. ive figured out how to run ableton live for looping and run the loop to the clean amps then back into live via outboard effects, loop the effected signal and out to the wider effected amps. i saw one guy on here running 3 amps just for his bass guitar so its not that insane......i think :p i have it all sketched on paper. i havnt got the last 2 amps yet but im using my hifi and it works pretty well.

• Members
all.jpg

The LAG's replaced by a Tele now and the pedalboard is quite different, but those two amps give me a huge sound : the Combo's got warm mids, the stack a bit scooped with huge lowend. They also react differently to the pedals, together with a stereo delay, it's just huge and very dynamic.

Jan

• Members

this thread is killing me!

I'm really looking forward to finally running stereo.. I'm picking up an old Twin this week though I have to sell my Bassman 50 to finance it I think I'll get another Bassman head in a couple of months (prolly BF) to run through my 2x15 Bassman cab in stereo with the Twin... something tells me it'll sound absolutely massive! :eek:

Archived