who's into analog delays?

mamberg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love the AD-9! really a one tick pony, but it does that one tick well. I actually have the Ibanez UE-405, but it has the ad-9 built in with chorus, eq, and compression (footswitchable rack w/fx loop). They sell for damn nearly the same price, so I couldn't resist.

I run a stereo system, and only run it to one of the amps with low delay, 100% wet, with no repeats. Sounds HUGE!

I had the DL-4 for awhile, but just felt so Dead inside. It didn't want to play back at all. Analog's the way to go.

• Members

I am a delay junkie.

I've got the Maxon AD-80, the Moog MF-104 Original Delay, and the Moog MF-104SD Super Delay.

the Moogs are ridiculous. absolutely ridiculous. the 104 has 800 ms and the SD has 1.6 seconds. it's really nice and when you get the feedback going they break up. after a while the break-up sounds like that sound your shoe makes in the snow when you step but all warm and analog-like.

I have an RV-3 and a DD-6 too.

a.

• Members

I use an old Ibanez AD80 that sounds like nothing else I've ever played. It kicked off my DL4 the minute I heard it...

The digital emulations come close and are of course more versatile in general, but the sonic differences are night and day when you play them side by side.

• Members

The Ibanez AD-202 Analog Delay is great, so is the EH Deluxe Memory Man. Work those knobs. IMHO, The Moogerfooger's not all that good--too muddy and dark, and the loop implementation is all wrong (the first echo is clean and the effect you put in the loop only works on the second and subsequent echos)

• Members

Originally posted by Twister22

The Ibanez AD-202 Analog Delay is great, so is the EH Deluxe Memory Man. Work those knobs. IMHO, The Moogerfooger's not all that good--too muddy and dark, and the loop implementation is all wrong (the first echo is clean and the effect you put in the loop only works on the second and subsequent echos)

yea - I've never understood that. I don't usually run anything in the loop so I don't care that much.

on the darkness... I keep my output levels way up and gains way down to counter this. otherwise they are pretty dark.

a.

• Members

If you want regular loop stuff to affect everything, not just the repeats, then put it in a loooper/bypass box with whatever else after and turn the two on with that switch. Though I don't think that matters, as you won't be using it anyway, just pointing it out.

• Members

IMHO, The Moogerfooger's not all that good--too muddy and dark, and the loop implementation is all wrong (the first echo is clean and the effect you put in the loop only works on the second and subsequent echos)

That's how my Keeley DD-3's loop works, too. Are there any delays out there with a loop that affects the first repeat? Memory Lane, maybe?

• Members

Originally posted by varialbender

If you want regular loop stuff to affect everything, not just the repeats, then put it in a loooper/bypass box with whatever else after and turn the two on with that switch. Though I don't think that matters, as you won't be using it anyway, just pointing it out.

That'll work, although it requires a second box. Still, that means the loop function of the MF isn't useful.

The MF Phaser and Ring Mod are very nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by freeridstylee

I love the AD-9! Analog's the way to go.

+11111:thu:

I love that pedal more than any pedal I own. It just brings the mojo like nothing else to my ears!

i also run a DD-3 next to it for cleaner and longer delays. Best of both worlds!

• Members

LOVE analog delays.

Currently using a Diamond Memory Lane and can't say enough good about it. (I have an extra that will probably see the SPAM thread soon, so keep yr eyes peeled.)

I've tried to do digital again recently-- bought an SPF I-5 and a Guyatone MD3 on the 'bay-- and hated them both. It's nice to have long delay times, but the sound was just so tweaked and fake sounding next to the ML, I couldn't really justify having both... if there's a digital delay out there (with a long delay time) that sounds natural, please tell me about it!

• Members

IMHO, The Moogerfooger's loop implementation is all wrong (the first echo is clean and the effect you put in the loop only works on the second and subsequent echos)

I have a Moog MF-104SD. I like how the Ext. Loop function works. I use it with a Ring Modulator. The guitar note first echo is heard before the external sound's second echo. With a Ring Modulator in the Ext. Loop. I need to hear the first echo clean as a reference pitch and then hear the Ring Modulation pitch. It's more interesting and rhythmic that way.

If I wanted all repeats Ring Modulated or any other effect I'd use the Delay out through that effect to another channel of my amp or mixer.

Archived