sweet distortion tones for a strat

flake

• Members

Hi

I'm currently using a jekyll & hyde as my main overdrive/distortion tones... I play this through a 57' Jap strat, alder body with maple neck and fender vintage noiseless pickups. They sound pretty cool clean, nice and sweet - though i have to tweak with the amp and tone control at times... but when i step on the hyde option it tends to fart out or fuzz out.. or just insert any adjective for sounding pretty shrilly, like an overbright guitar... the ts808 option works fine for me, nice fat tones i can get... but the hyde simply baffles me. Anyone familiar with the J&H to recommend some settings?

Or should i get another pedal...? any suggestions?

• Members

try the eq knob all the way counter clock wise, tone from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock,gain from noon to 3 o'clock, tone from 9 o'clock to 2 o'clock. mess with the blunt/sharp switch.

strat switch on bridge/middle setting

hope this helps

the eq knob scoops the mids the more it is turned up. the more you scoop the shriller the sound. the blunt switch compress's the sound and rolls off some of the highs. if it keeps farting and fuzzing turn down the gain, and the tone some.

• Members

Im sure youve already tried tweaking the tone knob on the pedal. You could rewire your guitar to give you a tone control on the bridge to take the shrillness off of it when using high gain...I almost always roll the tone back a bit on my tele for rock tones.

• Members

I think it is the bridge pickup. I installed a set of those in a guitar I had 7 or 8 years ago and all I could remember was my ears bled on the bridge pickup...so I never used it. But rewiing it so the tone pot worked might be a solution. If not, I'd look into installing something else in there if you use it with high gain tones alot.

• Members

i have some vintage noiseless hots in my strat, and yeah the bridge pickup can be super shrill. i use to not be able to use it byt itself at all. thats what i use the middle/bridge position. it thickens the sound alittle, and gets rid of some of the highs. the tone knob mod works too. my noiseless pickups are in an MIA so the bridge is wired to the bottom tone control.

i rewired my guitar so i can have a neck/bridge setting and i and really digging tat right now.

• Members

Thanks for the help guys...

I don't think i'd want to change out the pups though. I'm sorta after John Frusciante's of RHCP tone so i think single coils should be fine. i can get close to billie joe's (green day) - when he uses his p90 guitars... but i guess i'm expecting too much out of single coils - been used to the bridge breed of my other guitar... is a compressor a good idea for this guitar?

i'm running it this way:

guitar > J&H > De-7 > Ce-2 > Phase 90 > amp (i practice with a microcube at home.. usually with my band using a Peavey JSX)

Archived