Fernandez Guitars?

doomy3

• Members

is it the Fernandes Decade model? if its the one with the sustainer i'd def get it.. very hard to come by and look bloody beautiful. they discontinued them just before i went buying.. i ended up getting the Monterey Elite (LP one)

Guest Anonymous

I used to own a Fernandes Decade custom. It didn't have the sustainer (didn't have the money back then). It was a good guitar. It had a string through bridge and two bluesy humbuckers.

Fernandes' makes great guitars.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by 48729zjd

Does the Sustainer kind of work like an Ebow or is it more like a built in Compressor?

Yeah, it's like an ebow you don't have to hold.

• Members

Originally posted by Puke Face

Yeah, it's like an ebow you don't have to hold.

Sweet. But how do you get it to work for single strings then all the strings for a chord. Is there a toggle switch or something?

• Members

Sweet. But how do you get it to work for single strings then all the strings for a chord. Is there a toggle switch or something?

Exactly what I been wondering. Can you just strum a chord and sustain all the notes? This could be fun!

Cheating, but fun.

What is it, like a button you hold? Or a switch?

Guest Anonymous

hold one note and mute the rest and the note ringing will continue to ring. let a chord ring and it will continue to ring.
just like playing a regular guitar but with infinate sustain.

It has toggles to ring out a 5th harmonic or the(fundamental) base note.

The 5th harmonic sounds like feedback but you can acheive it at low volume or even headphones on.

I wouldn't consider it cheating unless you consider electric guitar cheating.

Freakin' great inovation.

Guest Anonymous

If I had the money I'd take a Fender with an offset waist like a Jaguar or something and put a sustainer in it.

Right now my main guitar is a modified strat with a lil' 59 bridge pickup. I don't think this pickup has enough output to work with the sustainer.

• Members

Originally posted by Puke Face

I'm pretty sure the sustainer is always the neck pickup.

Alright. I think I need to be clear on somnething now. If the sustainer is in the neck pickup, does this mean that you can only use it when using the neck pickup? Or does it just mean that that's where the mechanism is but you can pick it up using the bridge pickups too?

If you can only use it on the neck then I will expel all of my gas right now.

• Members

Originally posted by opultaM

Alright. I think I need to be clear on somnething now. If the sustainer is in the neck pickup, does this mean that you can only use it when using the neck pickup? Or does it just mean that that's where the mechanism is but you can pick it up using the bridge pickups too?

If you can only use it on the neck then I will expel all of my gas right now.

http://www.gear1music.com/fersusex.html

"SUSTAINER CONTROLS:

ON/OFF switch: (Black toggle switch) The On position activates the Fernandes Sustainer and automatically selects the bridge pickup while deactivating the pickup selector and the neck pickup. The off position deactivates the Fernandes Sustainer, reactivates the pickup selector and allows the Sustainer driver to function as a normal neck pickup."

• Members

The sustainer unit is in the neck pickup (I think the fernandes one takes place of the whole unit, and acts as the pickup too, but I know you get the sustainac which is a singlecoil size unit so you can fit a singlecoil next to it) so automatically jumps to the bridge pickup when you switch it on

They are cool units, I was playing with a jackson Phil Collens with a sustainer of somesort fitted (I don't think it was the fernandes, but very similar) and it is most fun to play with, i just sat playing about sustaining odd notes and fretting and dampening it and letting it build up and playing with the switches and so on, very cool ambienty sounds and more

I have GAS for one now...

David

• Members

Stopped by the music store on the way home from work and played a couple, the strat one and the LP one. They were cool. Enjoyed making lots of noise with the sustain. Probably pissed off the people working there. Maybe even more than the usual wanker.

I liked it, but not gonna invest in it. Too much for a second "kick around" guitar. And I'm more than happy with my Sunset as my main.

• Members

Originally posted by opultaM

Stopped by the music store on the way home from work and played a couple, the strat one and the LP one. They were cool. Enjoyed making lots of noise with the sustain. Probably pissed off the people working there. Maybe even more than the usual wanker.

I liked it, but not gonna invest in it. Too much for a second "kick around" guitar. And I'm more than happy with my Sunset as my main.

There's some cheap one's on Ebay right now. Less than $400.

• Members

The Sustainer "feature" is amazing, much more versatile than an e-bow. I have owned both, and with a sustainer guitar you can do all the things you can with an ebow and more! It really simple and easy to use, and the "features" or options of it are easy to adjust while playing...

It really does enhance the possibilities of the guitar, and I always miss it when Im playing a guitar without the sustainer as I feel quite limited.

The sustainer aside, they are really good guitars on the whole as well, and even though they are not exactly cheap (some models maybe), they are still very good value in comparison to what is out there. There are plenty reviews online, and I all the ones I have seen are very accurate on the more minor details, and are very complimentory too.

Only drawback (for me at least), is that they are hard to come by in the UK, and possibly outside of US/Japan, but they are worth the hunt. On the other side, as nobody has really seen them over here - you can really impress people with your playing - they cannot understand how your getting such awesome sounds :-)

So, recommended basically...

• Members

I own a Retrorocket Pro, and it's a sweet guitar.

Narcosynthesis basically got it right - when the Sustainer is on, it's the neck pickup sending out the vibrations, and the bridge pickup is the one listening.

Great guitar, great innovation. You can make it do all kinds of things with enough practice.

• Members

There's some cheap one's on Ebay right now. Less than $400.

I saw those. I guess I'm really looking for a Les Paul style kicker and the cheap ones on ebay are either LP style w/o sustainer, or different style. The LP style with sustainer are like 819. So if I'm gonna get a cheap LP style guitar that has no frills, I might as well get an epiphone.

But one day I will add a fernandez to my arsenal.

• Members

Here's my '02 Monterey Deluxe. It doesn't have sustainer, but it's an excellent guitar. I only had to pay $300 with the hardcase.

fernandesmonterey8nf.jpg

Check out the action at the 12th fret:

12thfretaction1sf.jpg

Strings practically sit on the frets. I'd like to get one with a sustainer sometime, but I've never found one to try.

Archived