Thoughts on the Fender Tele Deluxe '72 RI's?

• Members

Are they worth the cash, or would I be better off saving up to grab a real vintage one (preferably beat-to-{censored} :D )? I've heard the pickups and pots on these aren't as good as the originals, yet, I don't want to drop $600 on something I'll need to put $400 of work into.

• Members

I really liked my Sunburst deluxe .. I loved the paint job . But a few of the components were cheap or felt like it ..
Input jack , nut , and bridge weren't all that ..
It does have plenty tele twang too ..
Buts such a sexy guitar .. i want one back ..

• Members

I found one for $400 a few weeks ago...
it playes fine and it stays in tune, but...
it makes a loud poping ground noise when you rest your side palm on the bridge... so.. yes electronics are not quality :mad:

it does play good... well worth the money
it really does play well
I removed the varnish off the fretboard (I like the feel of wood)
it sounds just fine, tele with a strat neck feel :thu:

• Members

i'm gonna have fender do me a custom shop deluxe:

relic'd white blond finish
relic'd C shape maple neck with maple cap

which will cost me about $1,000,000 i'd imagine:( or i could just find a vintage one, seeing as how the market is so high for them it seems. Finding one for a decent price is tough:evil:

• Members

Thanks for the help, people. The plan currently formulating in my mind is to trade/sell my CIJ Mustang (w/ Duncan Quarter Pounders) for the 72 RI and then find some NOS wide-range humbuckers, drop 'em in and change the pots to 1 Meg.

We'll see though. So much gear, so little time. And money. :(

• Members
Originally posted by wacopacco
i'm gonna have fender do me a custom shop deluxe:

relic'd white blond finish
relic'd C shape maple neck with maple cap

which will cost me about $1,000,000 i'd imagine:( or i could just find a vintage one, seeing as how the market is so high for them it seems. Finding one for a decent price is tough:evil:
[/quote

How much does fender charge for just a custom color, i would love a blonde finish.

• Members
Originally posted by Pwn3d

:rolleyes:

Why is everybody else gassing for what I want. Yeah I want a black custom but, Im going to get MIJ
:D

Yeah I turned down a Mij custom blk with hsc , for only 360 shipped...

I shoulda copped it , but i was on Operation cij Jazzmaster

• Members

I have a 2005 MIM Tele Deluxe in walnut finish. IMO this is the sexiest looking guitar Fender makes (except for the Jaguar/Jazzmaster). It feels great and the body is light, it's a great player's axe.

Now on to the downsides. First of all, don't buy a MIM sight unseen, EVER, unless you're willing to roll the dice with Fender QC. (but I guess that can be said about most mass produced guitars). Mine had excess glue on the frets, the string trees, and there were also a couple of defects in the finish, that unless somebody was blind, they could not have missed them. None of that is a big deal to me (especially since my dumbass didn't notice them at first...that always {censored}ing happens), but by buying "new" that's not the level of quality you'd expect. Plus seeing these defects made me skeptical of the build quality of the other aspects of the guitar.

And the stock pickups are...blah. I'm upgrading them to SDs...which is a major pain in the ass, as the stock p/ups have obscure dimensions. So one custom pickguard, custom pickup/pot upgrade later, this is a sweet guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by Mojambo

And the stock pickups are...blah. I'm upgrading them to SDs...which is a major pain in the ass, as the stock p/ups have obscure dimensions. So one custom pickguard, custom pickup/pot upgrade later, this is a sweet guitar.

I really like the sound of the old Wide-range humbuckers. I might try to track down a pair on the fleabay/message boards, but we'll see. I'm idly wondering if it'd be a good trade, my Mustang for a 72 Deluxe RI.

• Members

Originally posted by clayton explode

i thought about buying a 72 ri last summer in brown and they are about 1000 cdn=860 US. they may have come down since then, but I haven't checked.

found a nice 70's one at pauls boutique last summer.. wish i had the money, i would've bought it. i've played a few of the originals and all but one other felt like {censored}.. this one was a good player. i haven't had the chance to plug a new one in yet but they look nice enough

• Members
Originally posted by ChitownTerror

Thanks for the help, people. The plan currently formulating in my mind is to trade/sell my CIJ Mustang (w/ Duncan Quarter Pounders) for the 72 RI and then find some NOS wide-range humbuckers, drop 'em in and change the pots to 1 Meg.

We'll see though. So much gear, so little time. And money.
:(

if you're gonna do that anyway why not get the whole thing from warmoth

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

I really like the sound of the old Wide-range humbuckers. I might try to track down a pair on the fleabay/message boards, but we'll see. I'm idly wondering if it'd be a good trade, my Mustang for a 72 Deluxe RI.

I think I saw the original Seth Lover Wide-ranges going for like $250 on eBay once.

Archived