My birthday's coming up...Distortion/Fuzz Advice Please

CurtisM

• Members

Im thinking of getting a new dirt pedal for my birthday in about 2 weeks. Ive got some ideas about what to get but id like some more info and advice.

My current rig consists of a MIM tele through a NYC Muff and DE7 into a Roland BC-60. Im pretty happy with the tones im getting, but id like another dirt pedal for some more sounds. Im mostly a bedroom player, with some occasional jamming, playing everything from classic rock, classic metal, psychadelic, stoner rock, punk and a lot of 80s-present indie stuff.

Id like something versatile, that can do fairly natural sounding low gain stuff and can also get just a bit over the top and fuzzy at the high end. A usable tone knob with a nice, wide range would be nice too. Im not looking for an anything-in-particular in a box, just a cool distortion with a lot of cool sounds. Its gotta sound good at low volume through a clean amp. Also i dont want it to tonally overlap too much with my Muff.

Ive already done some research and ive looked at a couple of possibilities. Im thinking about the ProCo Rat or Subdecay Stupid Box. Ive generally heard good things about both of these. Any opinions/info on either of these?

Im open to other suggestions also. Id prefer to buy new from a fairly reputable dealer, and id rather not go too far over 100 bucks. I could probably stretch up to around 150 if it was really worth it.

Thanks a lot if you actually read this and thanks for any advice.

• Members

If you're looking for low gain then the Stupid Box isn't what you want. It CAN do lower gain but excels atfat, saturated distortion sounds better. Somehing like a Barber LTD., Aramat Green Machine, or even Subdecay Liquid Sunshine would suit you better.

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

If you're looking for low gain then the Stupid Box isn't what you want. It CAN do lower gain but excels atfat, saturated distortion sounds better. Somehing like a Barber LTD., Aramat Green Machine, or even Subdecay Liquid Sunshine would suit you better.

Those all sound great based on the clips i found, but they all seem a bit lower gain than what im looking for. Maybe im asking a bit much, with great tones at low and high gain in the same pedal. Still, id like as close to that ideal as possible.

Screamcage: That looks pretty cool. I think ill keep an eye on it.

Slingshotmb: Looks cool too. Sounds kinda modern metal-ish. Not quite what im looking for here, but sounds great for that stuff.

• Members
Originally posted by slingshotmb

im about to order this.....any comments?

im looking for a heavy thick distortion.

http://www.amtelectronics.com/eng/filerec_files/du_hast.html

duhast.jpg

Just got one of these yesterday.
Initial thoughts: Massive amount of distortion, so far sounds best with gain off, bass at 3/4 and treble barely on.
It'll nail that Rammstein sound, seems to be able to do Metallica/Pantera too. Gonna mess with it more tonight and trial-by-fire at tomorrow night's gig, but it's promising.

Guest Anonymous

wow cool.. i cant find much info on it. if ya get a chance post some clips thanks.
im also considering the extreme 3.

• Members

Got it from www.pedalgeek.com
Dan's very cool about shipping same day you order.
There's quite a few AMT clips on his site. I was torn between the Du Hast and Extreme III. I've had the Fatal Tube, it's Ozzy-in-a-box but couldn't cut thru in the band mix so I sold it. I like their design, small and powerful. If the Du Hast doesn't work out I'll try the Extreme III or Metalizer, but I think this'll be a keeper.

Oh, I have no way to post clips. Sorry.

• Members

Originally posted by YourHerodDGC

the more i think about it and hear it, the more i think i want a bixonic expandora

I did check that out a bit too and listened to some clips. It sounded great and is in the territory im looking at. Its close to the top of my price range though.

• Members
Originally posted by duderanimous

check my sig
:cool:

Hmmm. Ive seen those before and they look pretty cool. Got any clips? Id be particularly interested in hearing it at both lower and higher gain settings.

Damn, there's just so much cool stuff out there, isnt there? I guess i see how some of you guys end up with dozens of pedals.

Archived