Cover band Dilemma: Stomps or multi-fx?

came2play

• Members

I play in a working cover band. I have the beginnings of a great rig and I'm very tone sensitive....BUT, I need to cover alot of different bases and I can't spend a ton of money.

I already have:

OCD distortion

Volume pedal

Comp

Delay

Chorus/Flange

Tremolo

Should I get a fuzz?

What else...?

• Members

Lose the volume pedal, get a wah and a booster.
You have modulation & delay covered.
Get a fuzz if you want to, but the OCD should cover most of that ground. Throw a booste either in front or at the end of the chain, something you can hit for leads.

• Members

I'd say lose the volume pedal as well, maybe the comp too. You'll definetly need a boost pedal, maybe a wah, but I wouldnt worry about a fuzz.

In my band my signal path is as follows...

tuner
proctavia (don't need it, just for fun)
wah
SD-1 (as boost)
chorus (splits to side A and B)

side A:
small stone
amp (laney VC50)
DD20 in the loop

side B:
SD-1
other channel of DD20
amp (super reverb)

We play everything from late 60's stuff to brand new stuff and I'm pretty much covered. The only I would need is a flanger but we don't do any songs that desperately call for one... Also I don't have a tremelo pedal, but as long as we aren't doing "How Soon is now?", the tremelo coming from my Super Reverb will do just fine..

You can get away with a lot less than you think you need. Don't be afraid to use the volume and tone knobs on your guitar to change up the sound either, I ride those things all night long
:o

• Members

Originally posted by came2play

I play in a working cover band. I have the beginnings of a great rig and I'm very tone sensitive....BUT, I need to cover alot of different bases and I can't spend a ton of money.

I already have:

OCD distortion

Volume pedal

Comp

Delay

Chorus/Flange

Tremolo

Should I get a fuzz?

What else...?

I'd look to the tunes you're playing. If you can't get a certain sound with the effects you have maybe you need effectX to get it.

my .02

:jb

• Members

I wouldn't get rid of the volume pedal. I'd instead move it to the end of your signal chain, to give you master volume control. Also, could you specify exactly what pedals you have, and also what guitars and amps you're using?

I'd get a Verbzilla for reverb and ambient and just messing around with. Amazing pedal.

I would also get the Yamaha Magicstomp ($120 at Zzounds). Great multi-FX unit to just fill in the gaps of your rig. Well worth, and I hear that it also works great for vocals.

Archived