Why use pedals for distortion?

thor653

• Members

I really don't get it.

Everyone seems to use pedals for distortion...

Why not just buy a good head with the distortion you like rather than driving the amp into overdrive with a pedal.

I'm not ripping on you guys, I just don't get it.

Are the people using the overdrive pedals into lighter types of distortion or heavier stuff?

• Members

I've actually thought about this. I guess I just prefer the control that I have from having it all right at my foot.

Also, there are quite a bit of fuzz and distortions that you can't get in an amp. I don't think you can get an amp with any type of fuzz. I think the closest you can get is the Bogner Ecstacy, but I freely admit that I'm an effect man, not an amp man, so my knowledge is somewhat limited.

• Members

So let's take a really loud, clean single channel amp as an example... I'll say a Sunn Model T, since it's my favorite amp in the whole wide world. How do you get any distortion out of a head like that without using pedals?

• Members

Originally posted by thor653

I really don't get it.

Why not just buy a good head with the distortion you like rather than driving the amp into overdrive with a pedal.

Are the people using the overdrive pedals into lighter types of distortion or heavier stuff?

well you definitely can't get certain extremely high-gain sounds out of most heads. and either way, having 5 or 6 heads would be ridiculous, too.

I do think it's silly for people to buy $300 clean boosts or buy pedals that are supposed to sound like a regular overdrive sound. I don't disagree with boosting an amp with an overdrive, but I'd rather just turn my amp up most of the time and use pedals for sounds my amp couldn't come close to doing.

• Members

I really don't get it.

Why not just buy a good head with the distortion you like rather than driving the amp into overdrive with a pedal...

why limit one's self to just one flavor of dirt?

my amp has good (if not great) dirt on its own, but by pushing it with different pedals i can have a variety of dirt sounds, as well as a lot more flexibility.

why go with high(er) output pickups? to hit the amp harder. same thing with pedals, imho.

• Members

AMP Dirt sounds I think is too mellow for me... well.. That's
what I hear from my Valvestate AMP.. Though, playing straight to an overdriven ampli sure does have more tone and resonance in it.

Besides... I like different colors for my stomp box on the floor!! :thu:

• Members

Well for me I like using lots of different sounds depending on what I'm doing.
I use live usually is:
Laney TT100h for two different channels/amounts of distortion
Hotcake
Skreddy Mayo
Emma reeFRATZajier or whatever its called.

I still have a few more pedals and amps but one must draw the line when playing live.

Sure I love the Laney's tube distortion, but the stomps also sound great through the tube cleans.

• Members

why go with high(er) output pickups? to hit the amp harder. same thing with pedals, imho.

I'm using the Pearly Gates pup. I'm pretty sure it's about 8 or 9k ohm.
That's cool.
I'm just interested in opinions.
I'm finding myself using less gain and more mids lately...

• Members

I really don't get it.

if you ask this question in the amp forum you are probably going to get a different answer. Now some distortion boxes are from 40 to 200 dlls. Try adding an additional channel to your amp for that much.

There is no amp I know that can produce silicon, germaniun fuzz tone.

Some pedals make your clean channel sound like you have a massive power tube breakup at managable volumes.

finally, pedals are cheap and easy to trade.

• Members

Also, they, uh... sound good?

I've cranked my amp wide open before and I greatly prefer the sound of pedals hitting it half-cranked.

Totally different sound/feel. And when you start stacking ODs, yow! Sustain... harmonics.... etc.

And sometimes I want my Fender to sound like a cranked Marshall... or an AC30... or a wall of FUZZ.

Sometimes I want to achieve these sounds at quiet rehearsal levels...

Sometimes I want all of these different sounds within a single song...

All these reasons and more.

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

Also, they, uh... sound good?

I've cranked my amp wide open before and I greatly prefer the sound of pedals hitting it half-cranked.

Totally different sound/feel. And when you start stacking ODs, yow! Sustain... harmonics.... etc.

And sometimes I want my Fender to sound like a cranked Marshall... or an AC30... or a wall of FUZZ.

Sometimes I want to achieve these sounds at quiet rehearsal levels...

Sometimes I want all of these different sounds within a single song...

All these reasons and more.

Harmonics and sustain?

Great!!

I really need to start experimenting...

What pedals are you guys into for this type of thing?

• Members

oh cascading gains is awesome.
Any pedal combination can produce great results. I like feeding my Ultimate Octave Fuzz with a DS-1 and for some add reason I get ring modulations :confused: but me likes.
Feeding a bad monkey into a DS-1 produces ranchier distortion. Also using the bad monkey into a dirty channel
a las Steve vai uses a DS-1 into a distorted channel when playing leads and it increases compression, harmonics and sustain.

• Members
Originally posted by fusionid

oh cascading gains is awesome.

Any pedal combination can produce great results. I like feeding my Ultimate Octave Fuzz with a DS-1 and for some add reason I get ring modulations
:confused:
but me likes.

Feeding a bad monkey into a DS-1 produces ranchier distortion. Also using the bad monkey into a dirty channel

a las Steve vai uses a DS-1 into a distorted channel when playing leads and it increases compression, harmonics and sustain.

Is your ds1 modified?

• Members

I'm using the Pearly Gates pup. I'm pretty sure it's about 8 or 9k ohm.

That's cool.

I'm just interested in opinions.

I'm finding myself using less gain and more mids lately...

i wasnt implying that you were using hi-output pups, just that its a common thing in guitar-world. the PGs are a tasty set, too :thu:

and theres a lot to be said for lower gain --- and not everybody who runs a boost/od/dist/dirt/etc is using a whole lot of gain from the pedal either. cascading gain stages is a very cool thing. just a smidge af dirt from a pedal, added to a smidge of amp dirt, added to power tubes heating up alot, well thats a great combo, imho.

• Members
Originally posted by L6Sguy

i wasnt implying that you were using hi-output pups, just that its a common thing in guitar-world. the PGs are a tasty set, too
:thu:

and theres a lot to be said for lower gain --- and not everybody who runs a boost/od/dist/dirt/etc is using a whole lot of gain from the pedal either. cascading gain stages is a very cool thing. just a smidge af dirt from a pedal, added to a smidge of amp dirt, added to power tubes heating up alot, well thats a great combo, imho.

I guess I need to go down to the space this weekend and experiment.
Thanks for all the advice.

• Members

Harmonics and sustain?

Great!!

I really need to start experimenting...

What pedals are you guys into for this type of thing?

say goodbye to your wallet.

and rather than 'forumites,' you may just wanna call us 'enablers' from this point on :rolleyes::D

what amp are you using?

• Members
Originally posted by L6Sguy

say goodbye to your wallet.

and rather than 'forumites,' you may just wanna call us 'enablers' from this point on
:rolleyes::D

what amp are you using?

I've already realized I'm a complete addict, LOL.
I've been playing long enough to justify experimenting, even if it costs a {censored}load of money...
I've got a Genz Benz El Diablo 100 and a Laney VH100R.

• Members

There's reasons to have distortion in the amp. If that's all you need it's easy. If tubes are used, they can run off the same high voltage supply as the amp, and with no effects loop the signal can be kept high level between the preamp and power amp. Some reasons for not having it in the amp have already been stated.

Other than that, why does it matter where the distortion is physically located? I certainly don't see it more convenient to have a cable to the amp for a footswitch, and two more cables for effects in the effect loop, plus the normal lead into the front.

Archived