Keith Urban overdrive tone...pedal?

UltraBoy

• Members

I'm pretty sure he uses Bad Cat amps, but does he or his guitar player use any pedals for leads or overdrive? Is there a pedal that would give me those country type lead tones? I use a Mesa F-50 in conjuction with my Ultra Mod DS-1 and FF2 right now.

• Members

Him and his backup guitar player are getting some pedals from us this week.

Call and ask for Traye at our shop and he can fill you in on the specifics....I think there is a DL4 MOD, a Katana, TS808, Blues Driver, and Compressor in the works....BUT I'm NOT SURE.

Traye would know.

1-8669-go-rkfx.

call between 10-1PM central time.

thanks guys!

rk

• Members

It depends on how close you want to get. I wanted to sound like the records. I couldn't find a way to really get the modern country tones I was looking for other than buying the amps. I bought both a Matchless DC30 and a Bad Cat Hot Cat.

One amp, great rock tones? Hot Cat. One amp, tremendous versatility, pedal friendly tone monster? Matchless.

• Members

Originally posted by stratton

It depends on how close you want to get. I wanted to sound like the records. I couldn't find a way to really get the modern country tones I was looking for other than buying the amps. I bought both a Matchless DC30 and a Bad Cat Hot Cat.

One amp, great rock tones? Hot Cat. One amp, tremendous versatility, pedal friendly tone monster? Matchless.

Wow, you must have some serious cash to hand out...Mr. Money Bags. So I'm guessing my clean channel on my F50 in teamed up with a pedal wouldn't get me the sounds I hear on the record.....only the amps?

• Members

What you see on the front of the stage with Keith's rig isn't what you are hearing. He actually has a couple of cabinets/combos that he uses and switches out occasionally that are on the back side of the stage riser.

I'd say part of his tone is the Keeley blues driver, as he's had one on his board before. Definitely call the guy at Keeley and ask him, though. Keith also has an old Marshall Plexi that he uses a good bit.

A friend of mine is Keith's road manager, so I used to know exactly what he uses, but as Mr. Keeley hinted at, he changes it up a bit, so I couldn't tell you exactly now, unless I called Mark up and asked him.

I think a whole lot of Keith's tone is in his hands, though, to be honest, because if you listen to his tone closely, it's always very similar, regardless of what rig he's using. Another key part of it is the custom shop Tele he uses with the single EMG pickup in it.

Keith is a fantastic player, fun to go see live if you get the chance. You won't be disappointed in his live show....heck, even if you don't like his music you won't be disappointed in his live show, it's a babe-fest, so that's another reason to check him out live.:)

• Members

Originally posted by UltraBoy

Wow, you must have some serious cash to hand out...Mr. Money Bags. So I'm guessing my clean channel on my F50 in teamed up with a pedal wouldn't get me the sounds I hear on the record.....only the amps?

Looking at your gear list, I don't have much more money into it than you do yours. I spent mine differently, though.

Pedal into the F50? Try it. If you're happy, congratulations. For myself the amp search for the Keith Urban, Dann Huff modern Nashville tones was over :cool: when I bought the DC30 and HotCat.

You can't wrong with either of them.

• Members

Originally posted by Jon Hiller

I think a whole lot of Keith's tone is in his hands, though, to be honest, because if you listen to his tone closely, it's always very similar, regardless of what rig he's using. Another key part of it is the custom shop Tele he uses with the single EMG pickup in it.

That's true. He always has a particular sound over the years, but I'm sure he's used many different bits of gear to get it. A bit like how you can alway pick the tone of Knopfler.

Pity he wastes his talents on country though. May be Nic will learn him out of that (she'll want more rock so there are less fems in the audience).;)

Archived