9V/AC power into 9V/DC pedal?

p00n

• Members

kinda worried that i plugged in the DL4 line6 adaptor into an old arion flanger, did i mess anything up? the dl4 adaptor is 9V/AC and the arion is 9V/DC, was chased off the set so havent really checked if any damage was done, and i can't test it till monday, is it anything to fret over?

really liked that pedal.. it was powering the pedal for about 20 min, the amp was facing away from me so i couldnt really hear much except from the open back of the combo, but it did sound slightly strange, but it was working

• Members

I accidentally plugged my Resonator adapter - 16v AC into my Arion SAD-1 for about 15 seconds. When I switched on the pedal there was a slight clean boost but no delay. I switched it about three times before realising I have the wrong damn power supply plugged in. I was sure the delay chip would have been fried but if works. I think there is slightly more distortion in the repeats though. :(

• Members

Feeding an AC voltage into a pedal that expects DC can definitely do some damage. If you're lucky, it's just a matter of replacing a polarity protection diode and/or a filtering capacitor, and you're good to go. In that case, those components did their job as intended (by dying to save the other components). But if you're unlucky, something else (delay chips etc) is damaged too. Try it with a battery and see if it works at all - if it is completely dead, you may be lucky (the fried diode and cap is shorting the power out). If you get dry signal but no flange, chances are the delay circuit is blown. :(

/Andreas

• Members

:( these repairs might not be worth it all for this little $30 pedal.. what a shame i really liked it, though it was always pretty weak as a flanger so i used it as a chorusy effect like playing in a glass bottle..

but i'm pretty certain that it did produce sounds though it did sound more distorted than usual on a battery.. :( guess its fortunate that i plugged it into the arion rather than my dd3 or dinofuzz..

Archived