What is the big deal with Cel. Greenback speakers?

Bruno

• Members

I know that this belongs on the amp forum but I thought I would give it a shoot here first.

I have the following heads Laney Klipp 100 watt, JCM 800 50 watt, and a Sound City 50 50 watt running through a demeter 4x12 cab right now.

With my strats the sound comes off a little thin side.

I have heard of people running two of these vintage GB speakers in the cab for the mojo sound/vibe? The cab is currently wired up for 8 ohms as it is right now.

However I keep seeing some 8 & 16 ohm speakers on Evilbay.....is there a difference with running it at 8 Vs 16 sound wise?

Also what are the best Cel. GB speakers to buy and where would you buy them? I have seen these things range from cheap to $300 each?

Sorry for being long winded but before I jump into buy some speakers or another cab I wanted some input from the gang.

Thanks

• Members

what kind of speakers are in that cabinet now? it might not be greenbacks that you want, although they do sound nice. but no one speaker works with all amps.

i'm sure the cab is good quality coming from that company but i bet its got some eminence speakers in it. it looks like thats what they put in thier current cabs.

greenbacks sound nice and woody and break up very early. you might experiment with two different types of speakers, maybe something that doesn't break up as soon, to compliment each other

• Members

There are a bunch of different things here:

20-25-30 watt ratings

55 or 75 Hz resonance

Green-Cream-black (other) backing

In general these speakers "break up". They will add some distortion of their own. Combine that with the bigger mids and less harsh highs compared to the 75 watters, you can get some killer tones from them.

My favs are the 30 watt 55Hz speakers. Have a cabinet with cream backs, it is great, not harsh, a lot of fun.

• Members

I had a newer Marshall 1960BX cab with Greenbacks. They were the Greenbacks you can buy new these days that cost around $90 each. I thought that was the best sounding cab I'd ever heard. I used it with all kinds of amps too, Dr. Z, VHT(super high gain), Plexi, etc. They all sounded great through that cab. I think they're wonderful speakers. I've also heard that two Greenbacks and two G12H-30's sound extremely thick together.

Phil

• Members

I don't like Greenbacks very much. I had them in my Bogner Metropolis 2x12 and they just had a thinner sound than I like and they didn't sound good with my Foxrox ZIM either, which are the only speakers I haven't liked with it.

I bought 2 Bad Cat 12" speakers for it. Celestion makes them custom for Bad Cat. I decided to sell the Metro before they ever arrived and bought a Trem Cat, so I'm not using them. They're based on the Vintage 30, but sound better than the standard V-30.

I just put them on eBay, but if you're interested in something like this, I can hook you up.

Archived