how does the BF-2 compare to the FL-9?

erik92da

• Members

in fact the fl9 is much more chorus flanging then the bf-2... i played once only the bf-3 but owned the fl9. it has a really nice sound. you even can trim a little the inner trimpots except for the middle one - that will freeze your pedal.

if you like chorus flange sounds you will love the fl9. except of the very expensive a/da and tzf flanger people keep saying that the mxr and the fl9 are the best flangers. the mxr is more jet-flanger and the fl9 is more chorus flanger.

if you don't mind spending more and get a more interesting flanger that can also pull out nice chorus sounds, then think about investing in a foxrox tzf paradox flanger pedal.

• Members

It's a little too harsh, its that metallic sound i dont like. It's good at what it does, but i want something smoother.

It sounds cheesy when i try to get the 'jet-flange' sound out of it. The only way i use it is with the RES knob all the way down.

• Members

The FL9 does do jet. Not super intense but it will get there when dialled right. Other than that, it does a warm tubular flange that adds just a bit of good modulation to fuzzy leads and so forth... I find it not all that metallic, which is what I like about it. Doln't use it a great deal though. For 60 bucks, you can't go wrong if you need flange.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

The FL9 does do jet. Not super intense but it will get there when dialled right. Other than that, it does a warm tubular flange that adds just a bit of good modulation to fuzzy leads and so forth... I find it not all that metallic, which is what I like about it. Doln't use it a great deal though. For 60 bucks, you can't go wrong if you need flange.

I like what you say about it adding a bit to leads, thats what im looking for. The BF-2 is overwhelming for leads (to me).

• Members

Originally posted by phyrexia

I use it for leads. I keep the knobs all pretty low...

Are you using it up front or in the loop?

I've been using it in the loop, but i might mess around with it some more up front.

• Members

I would say that the FL-9 can do a very reasonable impression of a chorus. If you turn the d.time and regen right down you have what basically sounds exactly like a CS-9 Chorus to my ears. I briefly had an old Silver Screw BF-2, it was very harsh and metallic to my ears. It was the whole sound, not just a part of it like the FL-9.

Archived