Damn its harder than i thought to mod a Boss pedal

ollenorin

• Members

Me and a buddy are trying to mod a BD-2 with the Monte Allums h2o mod....

Damn its some fingery work....geez ! Howcome everybody saying its so simple and stuff ?

it took us 1 hour to remove a {censored}ty thing and to solder one component in its place. Only 15 to go....

:freak:

I think ill start my own mod-website after this.....i will only offer mods by not me.

Im thinking 2000 bucks for a BD-2 since it will probably take me 3 weeks to finish this,

• Members

only 6 weeks?!?!!! :eek:

can't you make it a little longer just for me?? it also doesn't have to be a custom shop pedal.. just the ordinary version! should take longe in that case! what about 3-4 months.. maybe more..??

pm me your paypal so i can make the donation!

• Members

dude, thats funny

it took me about 3 hours to mod my sd-1. thats including having to go out an find the componets witch is a 30 min drive each way , then looking thru all the stuff findinf the parts and then going home and actually doing it, and this is my first pedal mod. pretty simple if you got a solder bulb and a steady hand.

i opted for a hybrid mod, the fulld rive dound alike voicing with the cuervo clipping section, it aound grat but my right ear is clogged right now, so i dont know what it really souns like yet.

• Members
Originally posted by ollenorin

Howcome everybody saying its so simple and stuff ?

it took us 1 hour to remove a {censored}ty thing and to solder one component in its place. Only 15 to go....

I'm with ya there, I was talking about getting a mod done in another thread, and I was getting busted on for 'paying $30 for $2 worth of parts' to the point where I just quit posting in the thread (my own thread even!).

I tell ya, it is worth it to me to have someone who knows what they are doing work on my pedals. Saves me much aggravation and probably money in the long run.

:cool:

• Members

Wiring is both really easy and annoyingly hard at the same time, really it isnt too hard to do, put the bits next to each other, heat them up and add a bit of solder, yet I always end up spending ages faffing about, and however neat I am it always ends up with a rats nest of wires and me melting everything trying to get the soldering iron to a joint I forgot about somewhere in the middle... but overall, its not exactly a hard job per se

David

• Members

dude, thats funny

it took me about 3 hours to mod my sd-1. thats including having to go out an find the componets witch is a 30 min drive each way , then looking thru all the stuff findinf the parts and then going home and actually doing it, and this is my first pedal mod. pretty simple if you got a solder bulb and a steady hand.

i opted for a hybrid mod, the fulld rive dound alike voicing with the cuervo clipping section, it aound grat but my right ear is clogged right now, so i dont know what it really souns like yet.

so you liking your sd-1, eh?

it not hard. the best thing to get is DESOLDERING BRAID. you can get it at radio shack. its just a copper braid you lay over the old sold, then you hold your iron to it until the braid sokes up the old solder. your left with a nice open hole to ram whatever you want to into. the monte allums comes with the braid i think.

also it gets easier with practice.

• Members

Yeah, I've always said that Boss/Ibanez pedals are a pain to mod.

People seem to think they're easy starter projects, but it's much easier to pull off a BYOC when you're new to the game.

The components are pretty close together and you really do need desoldering braid or solder sucker...which aren't that easy to use when you're inexperienced. It's really easy to overheat components and even easier to accidentally lift or break traces.

Just stick with it. Mod cheapos like SD-1s first, before you move on to bigger and better things. The first boss pedal I ruined was a DD-2.

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by vigor&kandor

so you liking your sd-1, eh?

it not hard. the best thing to get is DESOLDERING BRAID. you can get it at radio shack. its just a copper braid you lay over the old sold, then you hold your iron to it until the braid sokes up the old solder. your left with a nice open hole to ram whatever you want to into. the monte allums comes with the braid i think.

also it gets easier with practice.

yeah i like it it a lot bassier and cruncy but not fizzy. my fave setting is with the drive at 0. volume at noon, tone at noon.

similar to the ts-9 brown with drive at 10:00 , volume at 2:00. tone at 1:00

but the sd-1 has more bass

• Members

well, it made me rearrange my pedal board, it use to be

wah > sd-1 > ts9 > route 66

i use to use the sd-1 to push the ts9 cause i liked the ts-9 sound better, but now the ts-9 sound better pushing the sd-1. but basicaly the sd-1 has more gain availabel but less clean tone. while the ts-9 is a better cleanish boost. but not much :boost available. know of any mods for the ts-9 that will increase the available volume with out compromising the tone?

thanx

O.A.

• Members

well, it made me rearrange my pedal board, it use to be

wah > sd-1 > ts9 > route 66

i use to use the sd-1 to push the ts9 cause i liked the ts-9 sound better, but now the ts-9 sound better pushing the sd-1. but basicaly the sd-1 has more gain availabel but less clean tone. while the ts-9 is a better cleanish boost. but not much :boost available. know of any mods for the ts-9 that will increase the available volume with out compromising the tone?

thanx

O.A.

i will e-mail you some info. first thing i would do is try taking out the diodes. thats a quick thing to do, plus an easy fix if you dont like it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just got it back from my friend Jimmy who finished the mod for me....

damn it sounds super truper as AbbA would say.

I compared it to the keeley....initial reports say that this mod takes away all hoss/hum and sounds beautifulistic !!!

the keeley bd-2 is great...this one rocks my balls.

Archived