battle of the tubescreamers

Johansolo

• Members

i want to buy a tubescreamer to use as a clean boost for a tube amp BUT also as overdrive for a hybrid amp.

which one out of the lot

ibanez TS808

TS9

TS10

Maxon OD808

digitech Bad Monkey

price isnt an issue...

anyone can anyone explain to me their diffrences

cheers

Check out the HBE Power Screamer. It has a three way diode selector switch that gives you more tonal / OD options than a standard TS. Additionally, there is a seperate boost switch (6-10 dB) for solos, etc. Spring a bit more for the optional "fat boost" switch for even more tonal options. Built like a tank, sounds incredible. Highly recommended. :thu:

• Members

+1

on the tim and eternity

you might as well consider the the klon or the barber stuff ....

if you are getting into the high price range that is

though neither of the 4 are really 808 style circuitry pedals all of them are far superior than any ibanez (or even maxon stuff IMHO)

still the cusack stands up with them

the hbe does too but they all have their good and bad points

• Members
Originally posted by zachary vex

ends in boredom. i think they're all about midrange excess boost. doesn't sound like rock and roll to me.

not to say that your love of the thing isn't valid. i'm sure you enjoy it!

i enjoy it just like i enjoy my sho

:D

besides it was homeboy over @ klon who turned me on to your peds a few years back

:thu:

• Members

Yeah, it's only one of the worlds most recorded pedals on R&R albums...

ends in boredom. i think they're all about midrange excess boost. doesn't sound like rock and roll to me.

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Check out the
HBE Power Screamer.
It has a three way diode selector switch that gives you more tonal / OD options than a standard TS. Additionally, there is a seperate boost switch (6-10 dB) for solos, etc. Spring a bit more for the optional "fat boost" switch for even more tonal options. Built like a tank, sounds incredible. Highly recommended.
:thu:

My "if you could only have one overdrive" pedal...
POWERSCREAMER.jpg

• Members

in combination with a full/wooly sounding amp, it IS rock and roll.

Just like an SD-1.

You shouldn't judge the TS9 on its stand-alone overdrive capabilities.

I used to hate the sound of a TS9 with a vengeance, but once I used it purely as a boost into my Tubefactor, I can get a nice, tight, screaming heavy metal lead-tone.

I did mod it quite a bit, but amazingly enough, I let the bass-toggle switch set to 'stock' instead of 'bass +'.

• Members

For a nice low to medium gain OD which will cop the classic TS sound and so much more (with control over the level of mids) and the ability to swap in whatever chip you prefer, this one is worth checking out (final version will have different paint and labelling)...
BBD.jpg

Should be out fairly soon, and around $130 (going on the previous version's price but don't quote me on that).

• Members

Originally posted by loofery

I'm gonna say, get one of the ones they mentioned if you want but atleast get a Bad Monkey too ... I mean for 40 bucks you aren't losing anything.

Yeah seriously, this is just a basic food group sound. Get a Bad Monkey or a second hand TS5/7/10. All these pedals do the classic tube screamer sound (volume high, gain low) well. Not wild about the sound of a TS with high gain dialed in anyway.

I like the old Ibanez Sonic Distortion better for versatility. It can get close to the TS sound but it has a more rocking edge and it cuts through better.

• Members
  • Members

Originally posted by HungPhat

i want to buy a tubescreamer to use as a clean boost for a tube amp BUT also as overdrive for a hybrid amp.

Also, checking yr gear list, aren't the Framus all EL84-based tube designs? Because that changes things.

I prefer a Crowther Hotcake or a RAT vintage/II (or both) for EL84 amps. Tube screamers don't mix well with that tubes midrange IMO, sound better with Fender-style amps.

• Members

If you want a TS for clean boost I recommend the Keeley TS-9. I've had quite a few different TS mods and I find this to be the most clear. That being said, I would not necessarily recommend a TS for a clean boost. Mild OD, in a heartbeat. But I find the difference between my "natural" tone and my tone with a TS engaged to be too drastic to use one as a clean. You may want to look into a dual boost, one clean/one OD such as the Fulldrive 2. I personally have 2 TS-9s. I leave one on with gain a little less than 9 o'clock all the time. Then when I want a boost, I turn that one off and turn the other one on (at the same time) with the gain set similar and the volume higher. Same tone, only louder. I love the TS-9 sound and have to have one running all the time.

• Members

out of the ones you have listed..ive owned the maxon and the digitech...

i sold my maxon and hated..but on the plus side my new (ebay) shipped today..and its the only pedal ive bought....twice

id like to try a TS9 and a TS808..seems like i have played an org ibanez ts9 20 some years ago..but i dont really remember much about it since its been so long ago..and plus back then there wasnt a whole lot to choose from

Archived