OT Picking up an Ebay item.

unsunder

• Members

Someone wants to pick up something i have on ebay.

Is this an uncomfortable situation for anyone else?

I don't want someone from the internet showing up at my house. Nor do I have an urge to go to their house. Yeah you could meet someone central. Then what if you have to wait for them or they don't show at all. Plus I have to work around their schedule and mine.

If i'm shipping something all i have to do is print a label and leave it on my porch.

am i alone on this one?

• Members

I find meeting the person face to face much nicer because at least you know where your gear is going.
In any case, once the transaction is final, they can't come and really complain unless the advertisement is false.

Besides, how hard is it to just arrange one day to have the payment done?
Plus, you save on paypal fees and you have the money straight in your hand, one thing which is becoming more and more rare these days :)

• Members

I've met up at a central location once or twice, but I'm only prepared to do it if the item is expensive, hence eliminating the shipping risk. It's a little annoying when someone wants to meet up to pick up a $30 item, or worse still come over to your house.

• Members

I have done this on several occasions when shipping was out of the question. Usually meet at a central location, sometimes at their house. Sometimes the price was cheap for the item it is just that shipping would be insanely expensive (a busted AC unit for my house for instance, got it for $50, shipping ???). But it is all based on your comfort level, if it is a pedal, I would just want to ship, but if a 4x12" cabinet, lets meet.

• Members

I've picked up an amp from someones house twice now. It's pretty safe. Although the first house was full of students, some of them literally stroking hockey sticks on the sofa. The other time was a family man who offered me a cuppa.

I think it depends a lot on what you're selling. It's easy to imagine ebay buyers to be dodgy car boot sale looking types who'll try to haggle with you after the auction. But I don't think that's the case.

• Members

I've had someone pick something up twice from my house, and I have picked up 3 items locally.

So I have met 5 new people face to face due to the internet. I'm still alive and in one piece. Most were quick exchanges...one guy stood at my door talking for 20 minutes.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.;)

• Members

I'm not comfortable with it either. However, I have done it about five times without incident. If I'm in a cash crunch or if it's an expensive item that I want to move, I'm more willing to do it. I usually try and set up meeting in a central location first.

• Members

There's a guy in LA who lists sick, brand-new gear every week on the 'bay. I count on picking things up at his house, because I save shipping and I'll often bid higher just because it's easy and immediate.

I don't think it's a big deal-- most of the gearheads I've met this way have been friendly, laid-back cats.

(The only thing at all awkward was the last time I stopped by, he opened the door and a could of pot smoke billowed out into the street. I thought about asking for a hit but decided I'd better just pretend I didn't notice anything... got my gear and got out. He was rambling about Johnny Cash all the while, and frankly, the whole thing was rather humorous.)

• Members

Originally posted by TeamoDave

I've done it a few times and it's worked out great everytime. Maybe print a couple copies of the auction and each of you sign one so you have proof of delivery. A neutral site is a good idea too.

Yeah, I think you picked one up from me once. We just met on the street outside my apartment.

• Members
Originally posted by MrSage

Yeah, I think you picked one up from me once. We just met on the street outside my apartment.

Was that you with the Orange Squeezer clone down in Redwood City? I love that thing. It's been a mainstay on my board since then.

If that wasn't you, then nevermind.

:D

• Members

Yeah I agree on the bigger and or more expensive items. In those cases pick up is a must. I'd just rather keep my relationships from the internet to a minimum. I too have arranged for pick up on an item. That's what crept me out a little bit. The guy was so insistent that he could just come to my house. I would prefer just to avoid the situation.

• Members

One time I met someone about an hour from here, half way between me and him in a walgreen's parking lot. Then he tested the jcm 900 with a car inverter and a mini crate cab. was kinda funny. Worked out well. Also picked up an amp from ebay once, worked out well.

• Members

Just picked up a COT50 today from a cat in LA... nice guy, though I could tell he was having second thoughts about letting go of the pedal.

I still don't get the problem here-- you're stigmatizing "us" as "internet relationships" but I'm a regular person-- better than average, actually.

You, on the other hand, are pulling a Bo Jackson in your avatar. Who should be afraid of who?

;)

• Members
Originally posted by TeamoDave

Was that you with the Orange Squeezer clone down in Redwood City? I love that thing. It's been a mainstay on my board since then.

If that wasn't you, then nevermind.

:D

Yep, that's the one!

It was made by MightyQuinn in fact, so it's kinda funny that it stayed in the HC community!

Archived