Do all analog delays change the pitch of the repeats?

stent

• Members

I have a multi fx unit with an analog delay setting. its my only experience with analog delay and when the repeats come back they are slightly detuned, either sharp or flat. I know that the whole point of analog delay is that the sound is imperfect in a warm, organic way and i like the sound of it for most things. Thing is do all analog delays detune the signal this much? its so detuned that if you play a repetitive riff the delay signals cause the sound to become really really chorused. as i said nice most of the time but not sure if i would buy a stand alone analog delay if it detuned the sound so much.

So do all analog delays do this? some more than others?

• Members

Originally posted by sub rosa

No. Some analog delays such as the Memory Man have a modulation setting that modulates the delayed signal. It sounds like the setting on your unit is mimicing a modulated analog delay.

Yup this sounds correct. The DMM has modulation, and when its set high enough you get crazy detuned sounds, almost like a Polychorus going a bit wild. An unmodulated analog delay, or a modulated one with the modulation set low, won't do this.

The thing with analog delays is that they don't repeat a perfect signal, which gives it a warmer and more mellow tone, usually at the cost of overall delay tone. They also tend to self-oscillate, which is a big plus for some people.

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

If you play with the time knob on any delay knob you can alter the pitch of the repeats as you are playing them.

Other than that, it sounds like you have some other modulation effect going on.

Perhaps it could be a setting that alters the delay time slightly? I've never heard something like that but I can imagine its doable with certain boxes.

What multi-fx unit are you using?

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

That was my thought, Wilbo. I've never had an analog delay do pitch changes unless it was sent into a modulation unit of some sort.

Or any delay for that matter, unless I was doing the time knob trick I mentioned.

Or if his has built in modulation. I was amazed at how much pitch shifting I could get with the mod cranked on my DMM. Not exactly a useful effect, except for making crazy noises, but its there.

Archived