EH HOG with Pedal Power 2 Plus

shipatsea

• Members

Has anyone tried this? I have with no luck. The LED never came on. I got frustrated and stopped. The power supply for the HOG is 9v 500ma and the PP2+ puts out 100ma max for each 9v tap and 200ma for the 2 Line 6 taps. I would love to get this thing running on my PP2 but not sure if its possible.

• Members

w/o knowing the actual current draw of the HOG, it is impossible to say. In the meanwhile, just plug the HOG 9V adapter into the back of your PP2. Go to the house. Eat a sammich. Take a nap. Rock out.

• Members

So basically, it actually requires more than 200 mA. Are you sure you have the polarity correct? If so, then the only possibility left is that if it will ACCEPT 18V, then you could get a Ycable and deliver 400 mA, which should do the trick. You might want to check with EHX before trying that. I'm interested in this question, so let me know what you find out.

• Members

I am very leary of using a Y cable because EH warns about using other power supplies in the manual. 18 may kill it and it's too expensive for me to replace. It may be a polarity issue. I will be working on this more this weekend.

• Members

Originally posted by shipatsea

I am very leary of using a Y cable because EH warns about using other power supplies in the manual. 18 may kill it and it's too expensive for me to replace. It may be a polarity issue. I will be working on this more this weekend.

The wall wart should say whether it's center positive or negative. If it's the former, you should be glad your HOG still works, and you'll need a custom cable to power it. This seems likely in my mind, since it seems to me you ought to get something from 200 mA, even if it doesn't work properly with that amount of current.

• Members
Originally posted by box handler

It uses 9VDC/500mA, so it will only work with the EHX adapter plugged in to the PP2's courtesy outlet.

Forgive me, but are you stating fact? Just because the power supply delivers 500mA doesn't mean it draws 500mA. In fact, it almost certainly draws a chunk less than that. Either way, it is unlikely that the PP2 will power it, unless you another adapter into the rear outlet, as has been suggested.

• Members

Originally posted by hbar

On behalf of ShipsAtSea everywhere, we appreciate your personal opinions on the laws of electrical circuits. It's all moot w/o knowing the actual needs of the pedal.

Talking to me? I'm not opining on the laws of electrical circuits. I'm saying that IF the HOG will operate on 18V (as many 9V pedals will) then it's a slam dunk, it will work with a y cable. The other possiblility is that it's 9V center positive (simple as looking at the wall wart to determine) and doesn't actually require > 200 mA, in which case he's good to go with a center pos cable. Those are the variables that need to be checked.

• Members
Originally posted by bucket_brigadier

Talking to me? I'm not opining on the laws of electrical circuits. I'm saying that IF the HOG will operate on 18V (as many 9V pedals will) then it's a slam dunk, it will work with a y cable. The other possiblility is that it's 9V center positive (simple as looking at the wall wart to determine) and doesn't actually require > 200 mA, in which case he's good to go with a center pos cable. Those are the variables that need to be checked.

After re-reading your post, I see that it can be taken in a sense other than "in my opinion, it will work." My bad. But you're right, this thread is pointless without pictures. Er, specs, I mean. :p

• Members

I just checked the HOG and it is center negative so polarity was not an issue. As far as what current it draws, I have no way to know since the pedal or manual does not say. All I know is what the wall wart provides. I did however notice that the power jack has a bigger center pin. The standard boss size will not fit over the center pin and the line 6 is a litlle too big. I am going to try to solder the end of the provided wall wart to one of my PP2 cables. I'll let you know. PEACE

• Members

Originally posted by shipatsea

I just checked the HOG and it is center negative so polarity was not an issue. As far as what current it draws, I have no way to know since the pedal or manual does not say. All I know is what the wall wart provides. I did however notice that the power jack has a bigger center pin. The standard boss size will not fit over the center pin and the line 6 is a litlle too big. I am going to try to solder the end of the provided wall wart to one of my PP2 cables. I'll let you know. PEACE

Cool, let me know how that works out. They might sell 2.2--2.5 adapters at Radio Shack. I got one at a different electronics store for my polychorus.

• Members

E-H uses a number of different adapters, and for 9vDC pedals they have both 100mA and 500mA versions. Since they use the 500mA adapter for the HOG, we can deduct that it draws somewhere between 100 and 500mA. But without measuring (or e-mailing E-H to ask about it), that's as far as we can get. If the HOG uses more than the 200mA the PP2+ can provide from outputs 5-6, it will not work at all, and repeated tries may damage the power supply.

A Y-cable where the two connectors in the PP2+ end are wired in series (also known as an "18 volt Y cable") will indeed provide double the voltage, but the current stays the same. So with that setup you'd get 18 volts / 200mA from combining outputs 5-6.

A Y-cable where the two connectors at the PP2+ end are wired in parallel (a regular daisy chain cable, thus) would provide the same voltage, but twice the current. So with that type of cable you'd get 9 volts, 400mA (again provided you combine outputs 5-6).

But the easiest solution is probably still to use the supplied E-H adapter, either by plugging it into the courtesy mains outlet on the back of the PP2+, or by plugging both power supplies into the same power strip.

/Andreas

Archived