What to go with the Bad Monkey ???

amoodymule

• Members

I have been a small time pedal junky for a few years and after reading all these forums and reviews, I have purchased a handful of pedals (to say the least) in the last couple of years. :rolleyes:

I have been trying to find the right combo of pedals to compliment my live rig (in sig) well...

The Bad Monkey so far has impressed me the most :freak:

I'm at a loss, I have the Barber DD coming so...

The EH Double Muff is too shrill, I like the raspyness, but I can't control the tone enough...

My Boss SD-1 Keeley is just not what I need, although it has been on my board the longest :D

If I had more grit :rolleyes:

Hope the Barber satisfies me for a few jams at least...;)

• Members

Very few OD's actually impress me. Over the past 10 years i've probably tried 50 of them. I like about six of them, which isn't great odds. Two of these six you've listed (Keeley SD1 and Bad Monkey). The others i dig are the RPG Blue Flame, the Jacques Tube Blower, Keeley Blues Driver and the Crowther HotCake. I'm satisfied just owning a couple of Bad Monkeys and the Blue Flame, although i have had serious GAS for a Crowther Bluesberry since i heard about them....

If you like the Bad Monkey but want more grit, why not check out the Screamin' Blues pedal if you haven't already? It's kind of billed as a Bad Monkey with a bit more crunch, so maybe it'll work for you?

Good luck with the DD. Nice pedals, but i only got to try one for like 3 minutes, so i couldn't get a fair view :( .

• Members
The others i dig are the RPG Blue Flame, the Jacques Tube Blower, Keeley Blues Driver and the Crowther HotCake. I'm satisfied just owning a couple of Bad Monkeys and the Blue Flame, although i have had serious GAS for a Crowther Bluesberry since i heard about them....

Yes a Crowther is on my wishlist of pedals to try...
and the idea of 2 Bad Monkeys, definatly has been swimmin' round my brain, I am still lookin' forward to the Barber, I just got an email saying 2 weeks b/o :cry: (we got a local showcase wed and I'm contemplating puttin the SD-1 back on instead of the Double Muff, we'll see)

RPG Blue Flame eh?
a Crother Bluesberry you say? :D

• Members

I'm sorry, man. I didn't mean to get you thinkin' over a bunch of other stuff! The DD gets a lot of props from people i know, so i'm sure it's a cracking pedal, regardless.

Two Bad Monkeys running together is the future, though. Believe.
:thu:

• Members

I've got me a Zinky True Grit and it just doesn't gell well with the live amp,(maybe I didn't tweek enough)
It works real good with my Pro Jr, blues jams mostly with that rig, I use the HR50 for the band setup...

Two Bad Monkeys hmmm....:D

and I have faith that the Barber will be a interesting buy...

• Members

I wasn't overly impressed with the True Grit. Zinky stuff is hard to come by over here, so i think i'd built it up too much in my mind. It was just a bit... nothing. It was ok, but just not for me. I'm sure plenty of people can get great sounds out of them, though.
I can see how it would jive with a Pro Jr - i love that amp. They take nearly all OD's really well if you crank them a bit.

• Members

Originally posted by percyexpat

two bad monkies? how does that sound? how many monkies do you need before you have a troop? is that even the right word for a group of monkies?

tune in next week for more questions, some of which could be answered on google.

Mission of monkeys is, i believe, the correct term. Tribe is acceptable, but often reffered to more families of monkeys that just groups of them.

Two Bad Monkeys sound very good linked together. You need to work with the "High" and "Low" control on each a fair bit, but it's pretty fat sounding. Great for solos.

I wanna get a Chubby Chimp clean boost, then all my monkey needs will be taken care of. Unless there are any other monkey-named pedals i want and don't know about...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived