i like pink floyd and all, but...

• Members

Originally posted by YourHerodDGC

What's everyone's obsession with David Gilmour's tone? It's as if it's the standard that everyone goes by. It's okay i guess, but i don't think i would ever try to emulate it.

then don't.

• Members

David is just cool, that's all. For a while, I was so into his vibe that every time I played, it came out Gilmourish.

He has a way of doing so much with so little and a way of even using lots of effects without overwhelming his tone. I just think his stuff is so classic and so approachable that guitar players naturally gravitate to his tones.

• Members

Skreddy hit the nail on the head--

it's not just his tone, which can be aprroximated rather easily, it's his phrasing and the fact that everything he plays MEANS something within the context of the songs. he doesn't just spit out blues licks-- his solos can actually be sung note-for-note by non-guitarists, because they are so melodic and evocative.

his tone-- and the way he uses effects-- are an extension of that philosophy. any effect he uses heightens the song-- it seems to "fit" without ever being over-the-top or distracting.

it's just classic "do more with less" -- i've heard gilmour play three notes and gotten chills, whereas Steve Vai does nothing for me.

• Members

Hrm, yes, well...

I love Dino too, but we're speaking in pretty huge generalities here... I mean, what's David Gilmour's "tone"? Is it the raw organic sound on "Echoes" or the ripping fuzz on the "Time" solo or the super-compressed, glassy Strat sound on "Comfortably Numb"?

One of the reasons I love Gilmour's "sound" is that it changes from song to song and period to period. He can coax a LOT of different tones from his rig, which is what I try to emulate in my own rig...

Mascis is a great player, but his tone varies pretty wildly from album to album, too... So in the end, meh. It's sort of impossible to compare.

I will say that Mascis is a much sloppier player, and that he tends to play more "meaningless" notes on his way to a revelatory moment. But that's in the ear of the beholder, I suppose. :)

• Members

Yeah, it's definitely a benchmark, for whatever reason.

It's like trying to buy a vibe without running into Jimi/Trower references...

Or for me, trying to buy an OD without hearing about SRV. SNOOOOOOOOZE.

• Members

I love Floyd and think Gilmoud is an amazing guitarist. He knows exactly which notes to go to next. In the new Guitar World he speaks about scat singing guitar parts before he even plays them on guitar. His tone is excellent on Meddle, UmmaGumma Live, Dark Side, and the Wall. The others are meh.

On the Live at Pompei dvd theres an interview where they talk about how into having the best sounding equipment they are.

• Members

Its a benchmark because EVERYBODY recognizes his solos. Then there's Breathitis when dealing with any vibe or phaser unit.

Say what you want about his playing, he's just one of the most recognizeable guitarists, just like you hear a lot of references to Hendrix, Van Halen, SRV, Cobain, Randy Roads, etc etc.

I think his guitar works perfectly with his band, he knows when to come out from the mix and when to hang in the background and let the other musicians do their thing.

Thats funny you don't like his tone on Animals endo, I think that was what most people agreed was his best guitar work back when we did that Pink Floyd Album Elimination thing. Granted, everybody has their own preferences.

• Members

yeah i really like his tone for "clean" stouuf it great his playing its what really does it for me. he just knows how to write melodies, wich it really important for the feel of the song. and he can do that with a mamoth rig,and still sound natural, i know he actually has a very procesed sound but it sound at home in the sound of the band , and the songs witch IMHO ist really important.

on the other hand i love Treys tone for dirt, IMO is tone is the sound of rock and roll, and his tone sounded at home in the Comtex fo the music he makes.

• Members

Originally posted by usa83strat

yeah i really like his tone for "clean" stouuf it great his playing its what really does it for me. he just knows how to write melodies, wich it really important for the feel of the song. and he can do that with a mamoth rig,and still sound natural, i know he actually has a very procesed sound but it sound at home in the sound of the band , and the songs witch IMHO ist really important.

on the other hand i love Treys tone for dirt, IMO is tone is the sound of rock and roll, and his tone sounded at home in the Comtex fo the music he makes.

+1

I was just about to say that the thing with him is no matter how many effects he has going on, his tone to me is "pure". Just something so organic about it regardless of the processing. He has the ability to be in your face in one minute and blended in the next (as was mentioned above as well). Listening to his live playing on Pulse to me is an exercise in taste.

• Members

Thats funny you don't like his tone on Animals endo

Wilbo--

I love his tone on Animals and WYWH!

I was taking issue with Lensrock's statement that his tone on those albums was "meh."

*Especially live: I have many boots from that era and Gilmour's sound is out of this world, even in primitive aud recordings recovered from old tapes...

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

Thats funny you don't like his tone on Animals endo

Wilbo--

I love his tone on Animals and WYWH!

I was taking issue with Lensrock's statement that his tone on those albums was "meh."

*Especially live: I have many boots from that era and Gilmour's sound is out of this world, even in primitive aud recordings recovered from old tapes...

:eek: :eek: Share the Bootlegs :D

I love Gilmours tone, no matter how many effects he uses it never feels like "too much." His tones are a benchmark because they're so diverse, and Pink Floyd. Everyone can find at least one tone in his body of work that they like/love.

• Members

I'm actually not a huge fan of his tone. It's all right, and I seem to know an awful lot about it, but it's not really a tone I desire to get. That being said, I absolutely love his playing. There are few guitarists who can repeatedly hit me with songs that move me in such a way that Gilmour can. I'm by no means a slow player, and when I hear some people play slow, I get bored, but that's not how it is with Gilmour. That, and they have way too many good albums.

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

Skreddy hit the nail on the head--

it's not just his tone, which can be aprroximated rather easily, it's his phrasing and the fact that everything he plays MEANS something within the context of the songs. he doesn't just spit out blues licks-- his solos can actually be sung note-for-note by non-guitarists, because they are so melodic and evocative.

his tone-- and the way he uses effects-- are an extension of that philosophy. any effect he uses heightens the song-- it seems to "fit" without ever being over-the-top or distracting.

it's just classic "do more with less" -- i've heard gilmour play three notes and gotten chills, whereas Steve Vai does nothing for me.

:thu: +11111111111111111111111111111

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

I'm actually not a huge fan of his tone. It's all right, and I seem to know an awful lot about it, but it's not really a tone I desire to get. That being said, I absolutely love his playing. There are few guitarists who can repeatedly hit me with songs that move me in such a way that Gilmour can. I'm by no means a slow player, and when I hear some people play slow, I get bored, but that's not how it is with Gilmour. That, and they have way too many good albums.

I hear you on that one. He can do more with 10 notes than some players can with 100. And I think the numbe of flat out incredible albums these guys made makes them "the best band of all time" easily.

• Members

I am an obsessive Gilmour fanatic.

My favorite guitarist ever, by far.

Not only is his playing perfect for whatever song he is playing, his tone is perfect because you can't imagine it being different. He integrates his guitars, effects, and amps/cabs in such a way that everything fits like a puzzle. He is SERIOUSLY obsessive about his gear, and apparently his ear is legendary among crew members. He can hear the slightest

difference in anything that is changed.

Archived