DOD 250 vs Overdrive Plus

erik92da

• Members

So from what i can tell, the DOD FX50 Overdrive Preamp is just a 250 in the newer pedal box with the plastic switch. Then theres the FX50-B Overdrive Plus that adds a tone control.

Do all of these sound similar? If so, theres a bunch of the FX50-B's floating around for really cheap...

• Members

I haven't owned any of these in a while, but at one point or another, I've owned a couple vintage yellow 250s, an FX50, and an FX50B.

If you have a choice between the FX50 and the FX50B, go for the FX50--the tone knob on the FX50B is voiced kind of unpleasantly in my opinion. The FX50 goes for a little more (neither one is expensive) but is worth it. The FX50B is cheap for a reason...

You might also want to look into the Classic Tube.

• Members

I use the FX50B and I like it a lot. Its not exactly a smooth overdrive kind of thing. There isn't much of a volume boost at all, since at the top of the volume you basically match your normal tone. There is a good amount of drive that, past 2 o'clock turns into an almost overdrive fuzz which I like a lot. The tone control is strange in that its fairly neutral in the middle position, if a little bright and weak in the bass. I actually use it turned all the way to the bass end, where it finally gives a thick, smooth bass end while stil retaining a natural amount of treble.

I think I ended up paying 25 bucks for it, which I thought was a good deal. The sound is warm and pretty nice for what I do.

Archived