why is weezer so awesome

MattCrane

• Members

Originally posted by endo23

Really? I don't hear the Pixies in early Weezer... it's much simpler, seems to owe more to ol' fashioned 50s/60s pop, but updated with MONDO DISTORTION.

Pixies also owe a lot to ol' fashioned 50s/60s pop. lots of Rubber Soul-style Beatles there, surf, etc.

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

Pixies also owe a lot to ol' fashioned 50s/60s pop. lots of Rubber Soul-style Beatles there, surf, etc.

Exactly. :)

It's certainly possible that Rivers and Frank "studied" from the same textbooks (60's rock), and came up with similar test answers. Certainly an argument for the same thing could be said about Matthew Sweet and a lot of other powerpoppers.

But that would leave Maladroit out of the picture. And while I respect that a lot of people don't care for it, IMO, it has some very good songs on it. Slave is incredible - love the way it starts off. December is a great ballad. Burndt Jamb has a great groove. Lots of good stuff on that record IMO. :)

• Members
Originally posted by guitarchris

Damn, I guess I don't have a top 10
:(
...I'm forgetting something.....what else came out 92-95,lol

You forgot Badmotorfinger, Temple of the Dog, and Dirt. Why is it that the grunge albums have that enduring quality? Is it because of how we were when we were introduced to them?

But to stay on topic, ummm....I simply can't get enough of Say it Ain't So.

• Members
Originally posted by hbar

You forgot Badmotorfinger, Temple of the Dog, and Dirt. Why is it that the grunge albums have that enduring quality? Is it because of how
we
were when we were introduced to them?

Yes. Unless you're on the mainboard.:mad:

• Members

i like pinkerton almost too much for my own good.

i saw weezer twice in the last year or so. the first time it wasn't anything special: they played music, rivers was chill and not very excited. but the second time i saw them (on the tour with foo fighters), they were absolutely amazing, at least 10x better then the first time, best concert expierence ever.

• Members

You forgot Badmotorfinger, Temple of the Dog, and Dirt. Why is it that the grunge albums have that enduring quality? Is it because of how
we

I don't know what it is either, but I have always LOVED the grunge era of music. That was the last time I know of that MTV actually showed good videos regularly and it was good music, before the entire thing just went to {censored}, along with most of the mainstream music industry.

We went from the major force in music being Nirvana, STP, Soundgarden, Weezer, Pearl Jam, just to name the most generic bands, to {censored} like Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears and Creed. Is the average person's taste in music that bad now or am I just now realizing it.

I know there are plenty of great bands out there, but it seems like the status quo these days is in the gutter.

• Members

we

YES,YES,YES on the Temple of the Dog. I can skip songs on Badmotorfinger. WOT: Anyone remember Catherine Wheel??? I still pull that CD out.

Oh and I forgot about TOOL Aneima, I used to ware that out pretty good too.

......WEEZER's huge, thick tone coupled with great production and arranging is what made that album WORK. I bought the limited edition dual CD (my original from back in the day is FUBAR'd) the demo stuff on there is cool.....but pales in comparason to the polished nice package that the original disc is.

• Members

I love Weezer, but I can't stand Maladroit. They posted the demos on their website before it was released and they sounded so much better than the final versions. That album just sounds cold for some reason.

I also love the unreleased songs Mr. Taxman and Blast Off!

Archived