why is weezer so awesome

MattCrane

• Members

I finally broke down and got all their music. So far I love every album except Pinkerton. Pinkerton just seems to uncoordinated or something so far...the blue album is awesome though :D

Some of the tones on Maladroit are pretty much my perfect distortion tones that I have been going for. I know none of my gear is what he uses though :(

• Members
Originally posted by aeonrevolution

I finally broke down and got all their music. So far I love every album except Pinkerton. Pinkerton just seems to uncoordinated or something so far

Wait, that album (ok.... CD, no wait ...Mp3) will grow on you and become one of your favs! It rocks.
the Blue Album is in my top 10, for me that takes being able to listen to it front to back and not skip a song.

Smashing Pumpkins,SD
Pearl Jam, Ten
Pearl Jam,Vs
STP,Core
Boston,Boston
Hum,YPAA
RHCP,BSSM

Damn, I guess I don't have a top 10 :(...I'm forgetting something.....what else came out 92-95,lol

Parts of the new one are okay..., which is quite a disappointment for Weezer fans. Beverly Hills sux IMO. :( Maladroit is actually, IMO, their second best album - not as good as Pinkerton, but pretty close. I like it a bit better than the Blue album, and much more than the Green album. But to each their own.

IMO, the reason Weezer is so cool is due to good old fashoned songwriting. :)

• Members

my friend told me that they're doing the spring concert for Keene State College. If it were still the days of the blue album, i would have said "well i guess i'm going to keene to see them then!" Now I said "That's too bad."

• Members

Originally posted by booher

my friend told me that they're doing the spring concert for Keene State College. If it were still the days of the blue album, i would have said "well i guess i'm going to keene to see them then!" Now I said "That's too bad."

I would bet they'll play plenty of stuff from the older albums live.

Some of my friends saw them last year and they said it was awesome, and they played tons of stuff from Blue and Pinkerton. Weezer is great live because they can actually pull off their songs in concert. Even if you don't like the newer stuff, I think its worth it to go see them if you can because they'll make it worth your while.

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

because of the guy who wrote all of their songs--Mr. Frank Black...

whoops.
:o

:wave:

More true than you might think... Rivers supposedly did an exhaustive study of successful songs over the past 40 years (something like that), including why they worked and what was cool about them, in an effort to learn how to better his own songs. I'm sure Frank Black's / Black Francis' work would have been included in that case study... if in fact that rumor about Rivers doing that is actually true. :)

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

More true than you might think... Rivers supposedly did an exhaustive study of successful songs over the past 40 years (something like that), including why they worked and what was cool about them, in an effort to learn how to better his own songs. I'm sure Frank Black's / Black Francis' work would have been included in that case study... if in fact that rumor about Rivers doing that is actually true.
:)

the early stuff sounds like he did a study of successful songs by the Pixies in an effort to write songs like the Pixies.

i'll admit, he wasn't bad at it.

hi weezer fans! :wave:

• Members

Really? I don't hear the Pixies in early Weezer... it's much simpler, seems to owe more to ol' fashioned 50s/60s pop, but updated with MONDO DISTORTION.

However, I hear that Rivers studied the back stage antics of great rock hedonists over the past 40 years, and ultimately settled on Jimmy Page as his main inspiration for jailbait orgy etiquette.

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

I think the Pixies influence is pretty obvious too.
:)

thing is that bands like Nirvana get accused of that and you listen to the 2 back-to-back and hear similarities but you'd never confuse the 2.
but sometimes i'll hear weezer somewhere and think "is that from Trompe Le Monde?"
only the "slacker" approach gives 'em away.

silly, silly boys...

Archived