Ibanez TS808 or Jekyl and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive?

RothnRoll

• Members

i was biased towards the original 808 cause i had one for years and kept trying other ods to replace- only for the fact of the bass-loss. EQ helped but didnt sound as "natural" as an OD that retained its lows, but for quite a few years i couldnt find anything that equalled it in tone and still had the low end

until i tried the red J&H. it was very, very hard to distinguish the 2 side by side in an OD test, and the only way i knew the J&H was different (other than watching myself tap them) was the red J&H does keep the low end - even with the bass-boost switch off

so to make a long story short i eventually sold the 808 to a friend who has wanted it for years, and there was nothing i missed about it since having the J&H other than the fact that i couldnt whip it out and show people my original808!

also, the J&H has that cool pedal buffer feature that will allow you to keep your signal pretty natural (like you plugged straight into the amp) even when running 6-7 pedals after it. i guess it depends on the pedals but i consider alot of boss pedals to suck some tone when bypassed, and i had 4 of those after it as well as a few other pedals.

and you get the hyde side for that hot-rodded marshall thing. i keep mine set as a 2 stage boost for tube amps (jekkyl goes into classic OD boost, and adding hyde boosts again for heavier territory)

i just thought id chime in, as an owner of an original808 who really loved it but replaced it with the red J&H and did not miss it

• Members

I took a shot with getting a jekyl and hyde pedal, it proved to be a good investment. The OD is nice, smooth. It sounds full and nice.

The Distortion is definitelly great as it can give a really thick full or really raspy/sharp one, for more metal stuff. And that's through a fender hot rod's clean channel.

I recommend! :thu:

Archived