Pedal Problems

davenoid

• Members

First, make sure the levels on the pedals are turned up. I've turned mine down and then wonder why signal isn't passing through. If that's not the case then...

Get together two good cables and try each pedal individually:

guitar -> one pedal -> amp with a battery and then if it works, try powering it with an adapter.

Chances are they aren't all fried. I think you have it all hooked up and there's something wrong in the connections/power/levels

Before starting to think your whole rig has blown up, try narrowing the problem down a bit.

• Members

Its not uncommon for power supplies to fail and blow pedals.

Luckily if it was a power problem, then most pedals have inbuilt protection.

Usually its a single diode, either a 1N400* diode or a zener diode, sometimes a mosfet. Replacing this diode or mosfet usually solves the problem.

I have had many dead pedals that have been brought back to life simply by replacing this diode.

It will usually be first after the +9v connection to the board straight to ground. Sometimes soldered directly to the 2.1mm input socket.

The quickest way to tell if this is your problem is to open the pedal up and see if any components have fried.

Unfortunately sometimes components fail and look as if they just rolled out of the factory.

Thats where a DMM + an oscilloscope come in handy.

My suggestion is to open some pedals up and see if anything looks fried, particularly around the area where +9v enters the circuit board.

Good luck

• Members

Was the BYOC pedal the last one you added before the a/b & tuner? Maybe you wired it up wrong & it took out the chain?
Your cables are all good, right? Guitar straight into amp with each cable will verify that. Doesn't sound like a power issue, since they all work individually with/without a battery. Not sure where your trouble lies.

Archived