octave pedals

spoonie g

• Members

I've been using my micro sythn for octave down sounds but it's hard to use it for both that and envelope sounds. So, I'd like to get an octave pedal. I immediately thought the EHX octave multiplexer because I find the micro synth so fat. The sound samples sound very fat and "synthy", but I was wondering if there's anything out there that is better. I'd like the sound to be as synthy as possible.

• Members

I use to have the EHX octave multiplexor.

It did'nt track very well at all.

I have the boss ps5, if you set it for the octave down the tracking is dead on. It sounds pretty synthy too.

I just took this one off my pedalboard and replaced it with a delay. I'd sell you the ps5 for $115 shipped, if you're interested.

I imagine the boss oc3 would be good too.

• Members

well yeah that will work then. The Boss OC-2 is actually more simple that the OC-3 and I really liked the synth sounds it produced. Try one of these with a Proco Rat or a Big Muff. You will get amazing synth sounds. Listen to the beginning of Prince's When Doves Cry song. I think he was using a Boss OC-2 at the time.

MB35

• Members

haven't tried the OC-3, but I'm pretty much satisfied with the Octave Mulitplexer, I think it does that phat bass sound pretty well, and with a flick of the sub switch you shift into synth bass territory, and I kind of like the glitchy capbilities, these are very musical and reproducible once you get the hang of it.

I recently got a Foxrox Octron and fell in love with that pedal after hearing it, so I figured I could sell the Multiplexer, but then I put both pedals next to eachother and found our the Multiplexer performs a lot better if you want cheesy bass synth sounds, and it has a more bassy sound overall, and I tweaked the trimpot on the Octron for maximum low octave output.

I've deciced to keep 'em both

:rolleyes:

• Members

well, the Octron doesn't glitch, the Octron has inner trimpots that allow you to tweak the upper octave, the lower octave, the fuzz (a feature that Multiplexer doesn't have) and there's an inner switch (i forgot what it is there for).

So the Octron lets you blend an upper octave with a lower octave plus it has a kind of upper octave smooth fuzz thing going, it sounds totally different compared to the Multiplexer (it only has octave down), but when I A/B'd the clean octave down on the Octron with that of the Multiplexer, the Multiplexer soundedn more extreme and heavier, the Octron sounded great, better tracking and all (also, the Octron loves fuzz, the Multiplexer hates it), but the Multiplexer just farts and the Octron doesn't, with cheesy, I mean that farty and gnarly octave down sound, it was something that the OC-2 almost pulled of as well, but failed to do

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

well, the Octron doesn't glitch, the Octron has inner trimpots that allow you to tweak the upper octave, the lower octave, the fuzz (a feature that Multiplexer doesn't have) and there's an inner switch (i forgot what it is there for).

So the Octron lets you blend an upper octave with a lower octave plus it has a kind of upper octave smooth fuzz thing going, it sounds totally different compared to the Multiplexer (it only has octave down), but when I A/B'd the clean octave down on the Octron with that of the Multiplexer, the Multiplexer soundedn more extreme and heavier, the Octron sounded great, better tracking and all (also, the Octron loves fuzz, the Multiplexer hates it), but the Multiplexer just farts and the Octron doesn't, with cheesy, I mean that farty and gnarly octave down sound, it was something that the OC-2 almost pulled of as well, but failed to do

have you ever played the micro synth? is it like that? from the clips it seems like it is, but you never know till you try it.

• Members

Originally posted by spoonie g

have you ever played the micro synth? is it like that? from the clips it seems like it is, but you never know till you try it.

I have the Microsynth and Octave Multiplexer on the same board

the phat bass sounds pretty similar on the Microsynth, but the farty cheesy synth bass sound can only be achieved with the Multiplexer

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

.......and there's an inner switch (i forgot what it is there for).

It is a jumper that you can switch to go from a fuller upper octave to a more octavia type upper octave. I have experimented with both and have left it on the fuller octave setting. Dave has said that it really only makes a difference when you have the pedal pushing hard and play up around the 12th fret (octavia territory).

• Members

Originally posted by thor653

I heard the oc2 tracks really bad???

I have one I use occasionally and when the tracking f**ks up I turn the tone pot down a bit on the guitar and it seems to worka lot better. Plus the following I find useful

- Have it first in your chain

- It don't work with chords or ecen two note chords

- It works well with an SG but not a tele, I'm guessing the is too much high frequency content in the tele which confuses it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I had an OC-2 for a while and I used my neck pickup, tracked almost perfect. Sounded like ass with the bridge pickup. I will get one again sometime. Right now I have an MXR Blue Box:cool: , I am having a lot of fun with this thing!

• Members
Originally posted by spoonie g

I've been using my micro sythn for octave down sounds but it's hard to use it for both that and envelope sounds. So, I'd like to get an octave pedal. I immediately thought the EHX octave multiplexer because I find the micro synth so fat. The sound samples sound very fat and "synthy", but I was wondering if there's anything out there that is better. I'd like the sound to be as synthy as possible.

I've used quite a few and it is really hard to beat the little mini-Dano. It has 1-octave and 2-octave down controls and tracks very well. Sounds monsterous with some overdrive.

Archived