Have you felt the time when...

valvestate

• Members

... you've been longing to buy certain expensive guitar pedal only to find out that it did NOT suit your taste after purchasing it? Or the sound just plain sucks...

I'm into that situation right now and man... It feels like just a stupid waste of time and money. :rolleyes:

• Members

Yeah, it would be nice if all these cool pedals were available to tryout at the local music store. Buying to try is the reality for many of us. However, I think there's one thing more wasteful than buying a pedal and selling it because you don't like it -- buying a pedal that you absolutely love but selling it at a loss in a fit of GAS only to buy the pedal again in the future.

• Members

There are three 200+ pedals that I've bought in the last year and a half that have left me feeling like a sucker. They sure looked cool, had true bypass, but I couldn't get a sound that I really like out of them. I keep going back to my cheap and mid-range pedals that simply sound better. When I look at my board now, it's very unimpressive, but I get great sounds from it. I did a gig this last weekend and my band had the crowd going nuts.

I keep telling myself "no more bull{censored} boutque stomps". I've tried to avoid anything over $200 bucks but I'm lowering it $150.

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

There are three 200+ pedals that I've bought in the last year and a half that have left me feeling like a sucker. They sure looked cool, had true bypass, but I couldn't get a sound that I really like out of them. I keep going back to my cheap and mid-range pedals that simply sound better. When I look at my board now, it's very unimpressive, but I get great sounds from it. I did a gig this last weekend and my band had the crowd going nuts.

I keep telling myself "no more bull{censored} boutque stomps". I've tried to avoid anything over $200 bucks but I'm lowering it $150.

i'm with you on the 'no more bull{censored} boutique stuff'

i buy from the same buiders pretty consistantly and they are all reasonably priced. The priciest thing on my board was the Ubervibe and it's a damn work of art. I'm about to order another pedal from Retroman.

For overdrives I like David Barber's stuff. lots of pedals to choose from, friendly support and fair prices.

Catalinbread, SubDecay make fair priced killer stuff.

• Members

Now that I have been buying some expensive booteek stuff, the old non TB, regular stuff sounds like crap to me. I'm sure it's all in my head but tonight I hooked up a Boss DS1 and a Vox Wah with some of my new designer stuff and it just sounded like dead ass.

I'm driving an hour or so tomorrow to go check out some more mega $$$$ pedals. I found a store way north of me that sells Fulltone, CatalinBread, Barber, HomeBrew, Toadworks, and a ton of other boutique pedals. They keep them in big glass cases like a jewlery store!:thu::D

• Members
Originally posted by Elliott Damage

don't leave us in suspense! what pedal was it?

:cry: it was a cheapo Behringer. Gawd... why did I buy it?!? I really don't know... I'm just into the hunt of looking for a grunge sound pedal and I saw this cheap Distortion Modeller DM-100 box. I thought it was OK at first but... sh*t... but after just barely a week it just f*ckin' didn't fit in our band. Now nobody's wants to even buy it for a cheap price..

:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by HMCMedic

Now that I have been buying some expensive booteek stuff, the old non TB, regular stuff sounds like crap to me. I'm sure it's all in my head but tonight I hooked up a Boss DS1 and a Vox Wah with some of my new designer stuff and it just sounded like dead ass.

Well, IMO, the DS-1 has always been a hit and miss pedal anyway. I wouldn't consider it the best available mass produced distortion pedal.

• Members
Originally posted by marvin_19

:cry:
it was a cheapo Behringer. Gawd... why did I buy it?!? I really don't know... I'm just into the hunt of looking for a grunge sound pedal and I saw this cheap Distortion Modeller DM-100 box. I thought it was OK at first but... sh*t... but after just barely a week it just f*ckin' didn't fit in our band. Now nobody's wants to even buy it for a cheap price..

:mad:

your first post says expensive?

Archived