Valve Jr. quote in Canada

• Members

I was hoping to grab a couple Valve Jr. heads for some stereo fun. Here is the message I got today from my dealer:

"It looks like there are 5 coming in to Canada, and 3 are already spoken for. They are going to cost $179 + tax (about $157 USD + tax). If you want one of the remaining two let me know ASAP. Yorkville Canada has a purchase order for these 5 and have been waiting for a few months now. It looks like they will be coming soon though. Give me a ring or drop by. A 20% deposit is required to set up the order."

I think that I will hold off for now, too bad. It was like taking a big unwanted antacid for effective relief of GAS.

(or...I could get one from somewhere else...)

(or...I could buy some other things that I have my eye on these days...)

• Members

You guys need to straighten out that trade mess in Canada. I don't know what the hell your politicians are telling you, but it makes trade across our borders suck.

In a private transaction with a Canadian I bought an amp head a couple months back. I paid shipping fees along with the purchase, but Fedex held it at the border and said I had to pay all these extra fees before they would release it to the US side. What the hell could I do? I paid the extra $50 bucks just to get my amp. No reason other than Canada trying to take a slice of a private transaction on a used amp. One they already took a slice off of when the amp came north from the US the first time. {censored}ing crookery, I say...

This is why I will never do another transaction with anyone from Canada (buying or selling). It's a lot of crookery about. You guys should be firing these asshole politicians who are doing this to us all.

• Members
Originally posted by sense_of_henry

I got a bill from FedEx today for $60 for some things I have had shipped...

I am still getting more bills, too. The only thing is I already got the amp. I will file those bills next to the hopper for the next time I need to pinch a loaf. :idea::cool:

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

You guys need to straighten out that trade mess in Canada. I don't know what the hell your politicians are telling you, but it makes trade across our borders suck.

In a private transaction with a Canadian I bought an amp head a couple months back. I paid shipping fees along with the purchase, but Fedex held it at the border and said I had to pay all these extra fees before they would release it to the US side. What the hell could I do? I paid the extra $50 bucks just to get my amp. No reason other than Canada trying to take a slice of a private transaction on a used amp. One they already took a slice off of when the amp came north from the US the first time. {censored}ing crookery, I say...

This is why I will never do another transaction with anyone from Canada (buying or selling). It's a lot of crookery about. You guys should be firing these asshole politicians who are doing this to us all.

I can appreciate the frustration (been there... done that), but the problem in your case wasn't with Canada, it was with Fedex. Some courier companies (UPS, Fedex, etc.) will charge "brokerage fees" which they claim are their costs of clearing your package through US customs. It has nothing to do with Canada or the US, it's all the courier company. You can challenge the fees and clear the package thru customs yourself (usually involves picking up the package at one of their depots, taking it and some paperwork to customs, and then returning the papers to the courier).

Also, if you were having a package shipped FROM Canada TO the US, it would never go thru Canada customs. In that case, it goes to US customs who may charge import duties & taxes, but it wouldn't even go to a Canada customs office.

It's too bad that you won't deal with us Canadians again, although I understand the sentiment. If you do change your mind, use USPS - just as quick as a courier but no BS "brokerage" fees, and I've found them to be just as reliable.

• Members
Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

Fedex held it at the border and said I had to pay all these extra fees before they would release it to the US side. What the hell could I do? I paid the extra $50 bucks just to get my amp. No reason other than Canada trying to take a slice of a private transaction on a used amp.

You guys should be firing these asshole politicians who are doing this to us all.

actually it's fedex who is getting the extra money..

duty taxes are preset.. but the "duty fee" that fedex, UPS, etc.. includes the duty tax to the receiver, and ALSO their own custom brokerage fee for packages that come across the border..

if you want to send something across the border, USPS or Canada Post are the only way to do it.. ever since I learned this I've been much happier doing transactions with anyone anywhere :)

Archived