Bad Monkey Q

flashmaster

• Members

Can anyone tell me how the Bad Monkey mixes with the amp distortion? I'm wanting a crushing brutal sound, and I know it's more of a classic rock pedal. But i'm wondering how it will sound as a boost. I've got a B-52 AT-100 and the 2x12 5150 and both sound great great for high gain, but, of course, I'm always trying to get a better sound. Anyone tell me how it would sound say with the gain on the amp low and the bad monkey boosting? Thanks for any advice. J

• Members

It's a great boost for a low-gain / clean amp.

I've heard it's good for higher gain for boosting "over the top".

You might as well just get it though cause its $40 - if you just want more oomph for a solo it should work well.

• Members

I use it with the gain dimed, to push my 1 watt amp over the top. In my opinion, it sounds great for that type of thing. It also sounds wonderful with the gain turned down low. Used like that, it's really transparent.

• Members

well,i have a monkey and run it through my mesa stiletto for a gain boost.it is ok but i prefer my cheap ass,plastic behringer vintage tube overdrive to the monkey for my mesa.the behringer just sounds more transparant while adding an extra kick on the front end of the mesa.gets a good zakk wyldeish/jake e lee tone..the monkey is close but for $20,cant beat the behringer....imo

Archived