Boost/overdrive help. (The TS sound is becoming too "mushy" for me..)

kmcypress

• Members

Hey,

I've got a Full-Drive II right now, and while its a great pedal, I just don't feel that its the right sound I'm going for in that the TS sound is too mushy for me (not to be confused with muddy). I guess I'm just looking for something transparent that can give me a basic volume boost, a little bit of tone control, and give me just a tad bit of O.D. when needed. I play a strat->Fender Blues Jr. in a worship/praise band and an epi sheraton (P-90's) -> 79' Marshall JMP for a very similar Open G style of the Black Crowes. The problem doesn't really lay in the church band but more in the sound I'm trying to cope with my sheraton->JMP.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated...

-Kevin

• Members

Originally posted by 48729zjd

Which church do you go to?

Seacoast Grace, right next to the Los Al Race Track. I play in the high school worship band every couple weeks. I have only been playing there since the summer and its a very fun enviornment to be in; wish I could play more often.

• Members

Originally posted by kmcypress

Seacoast Grace, right next to the Los Al Race Track. I play in the high school worship band every couple weeks. I have only been playing there since the summer and its a very fun enviornment to be in; wish I could play more often.

Cool, I drive by the Los Al Race Track all the time when I pick up my GF from work. I'd say go ahead and check out the Zendrive if you've got $179.00 to spend.

Zendrive

:wave:

Zendrivemp.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by HMCMedic

I play Strats with a Blues Jr.

This is what you need! BEST PEDAL EVER!

smallfry.jpg

http://www.barberelectronics.com/

normally i would've said no but i must agree, i tried barber stuff the other day for the first time and it's primo. not sure if i'd reccomend that one, but i guess i was crankin the gain pretty high. anyways, check out the direct drive too, or the burn unit. all their stuff sounded nice to me. by the way, would you be thinking of selling the fulldrive then? i'd be interested in it if you are. i love the TS sound but i'd like to upgrade from my ts9RI.

PM me bro-ha

• Members

Originally posted by kmcypress

I guess I'm just looking for something transparent that can give me a basic volume boost, a little bit of tone control, and give me just a
tad bit
of O.D. when needed.

You are looking for a Zoom PD-01.

pd01body.gif

• Members

I just got a zoom pd-01. It's my third one. I keep on buying them, then selling them then buying them again. The problem is they keep going higher in price as people decide more and more to keep them.

I haven't found a setting I liked yet. I find it too sterile at times. I like using my keeley ts-9, but in front of an amp with some light gain, it doesn't give me enough volume boost, but the tone is fantastic, slightly compressed and definitely stands out. I wanted to use the pd-01 for the same purpose because it does have much more volume that really puts me out in front even more. But, I don't know, the ts-9 really makes the tone, but the pd-01 makes it a little shrill I think. Anybody care to share their settings with the pd-01? Maybe I should set mine differently? Right now I have the gain at 8:00, tone at Noon, bass at 1:00 and level at 3:00.

• Members

Currently I'm using either a ZVex Super Duper 2 in 1, a Jacques Mercer Box 2, or a Prescription RX Overdriver (Colorsound clone) with my Stratocaster for the more open and defined non TS sound.

• Members

Originally posted by 89strat

the pd-01 makes it a little shrill I think. Anybody care to share their settings with the pd-01? Maybe I should set mine differently? Right now I have the gain at 8:00, tone at Noon, bass at 1:00 and level at 3:00.

I assume by "Tone" you mean the treble control? If you're finding it shrill, why not roll down to 9:00 or 10:00?

I haven't used mine much since I picked up a Balance, but I can't quite bring myself to sell it either. I'd be more specific about good settings, but my amp is currently in the shop and my backups a Lil Smokey, so...

• Members

Originally posted by iwantpedals

by the way, would you be thinking of selling the fulldrive then? i'd be interested in it if you are. i love the TS sound but i'd like to upgrade from my ts9RI.

PM me bro-ha

Clean out your PM box!:p

• Members

ZIM's good but I have to second the BARBER call.

The more I hear/play his pedals, the more I think he's the man... there are cooler looking, more expensive pieces of gear to be had, but his stuff sounds primo...

Archived