Strobostomp and Planet Waves tuner pedal review

Fatcat

• Members

I figured that its about time I contribute after taking away so much (of what I dont know....)

I recently was in the market for a tuner pedal for stage and set up. I went to my local GC to check out/buy the new Behringer one if they had it. Turns out they didnt so I brought home the Strobostomp (from 20 bucks to 190, pretty funny eh?)

I heard a lot of buzz about the Peterson unit and the rep gave me a bang up deal on it (165 out the door).

I took her home and was on a mission to see if a strobe tuner really made a difference. I yanked out the 2 Artists and 1 OLP Axis I own and intonated them all. It took a little getting used to, but once you have the sequence (neck pu, 12 fret harmonic, pluck with finger, tune) down, its easy. I plugged into my trusty Sov and dimed it. Without a doubt, chords ring MUCH clearer. The notes have excellent definition. I havent even gotten into the tempered and sweetened tunings.

So I am thinking, sold, I am keeping this thing. Now for the bad part. QC on these very expensive tuners sucks. The LCD cover was lifting off the housing and the display itself had some funky characters in the 4th strobe column. These are know issues with these boxes and supposedly will be addressed with new shipments.

2 weeks later I see the new Planet Waves Strobe Tuner come out for 100 bucks less. I figured I'd like to have the 100 back for a TS9 or Valve Junior you've all given me gas for.

I grab one of the Planet waves and do a head to head. First off the PW pedal is really nicely constructed. Maybe the best pedal I have ever seen. I untuned the guitar and retuned it with the PW then checked it with the Strobo. The verdict? If you are doing set ups/recording, the 4 Strobe bars are far more accurate than 1 bar. For stage the PW cant be beat. Construction, ease of use, visibility and true bypass are all top knotch.

I decided to keep the Strobo since I do all my own set ups and it will pay for itself. Cant forget to mention that it is a DI box as well. I will be swapping it out at GC for a new one when they get another shipment.

I hope you bros finds this helpful. If someone asks for a clip, I might snap. j/k.....

• Members

So, what's the story with the updated version Strobo? Do you know how they've improved it?

I know a lot of people have had construction issues with them, which is shameful given the price. I bought one when they first came out under the mistaken belief that twice the price of other tuners = more accurate + better reliability.

Pity the PW isn't at least down to +/- 1 cent.

• Members
Originally posted by Fatcat

I do not have the new one yet. I dont think it will look or work any different. It will just not have the issues.

Yeah, I guessed that bit, but I'm wondering if they got all the bugs out.:confused:

I think they should offer one in a different colour too, that blue's a bit much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's rock & roll, people. $190 for a tuner?!!?
(sez the guy with a Lovetone pedal in his avatar)

You can use the neck pup, 12th fret harmonic trick with a BOSS tuner, fer Chrissakes. I read about that ages ago in a TapeOp interview with Jack Endino... Without a Buzz Feiten system installed, your guitar will never be truly "in tune" anyway.

;)

• Members
Originally posted by Klisk

I'm interested in the S.O.S. GUITAR TUNER from PW.

Me too, but they sold out the first batch so fast they never even hit the ground in Cali.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

D'Addario claims they'll be here in "a few weeks." And yes, I know I could order from MF, but for a $15 accessory it seems like a lot of overhead...

Originally posted by LongJohnny

What is the SOS tuner from PW?

339688.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=210066&src=3WFRWXX

• Members
Originally posted by SASQUATCH

My $15 Korg tuner I've had for years works just fine, and with it on top of my amp in handy reach, it's not even in my signal chain. I tune before a show, and my guitars stay in tune for the duration (though I recheck at setbreak). I never understood the need for a pedal tuner.

Not all guitars stay in tune so well, and if you use new strings before each gig, you're going to need more tune ups than just twice a night.

• Members
small.jpg339688.jpg

Strobopick has been around for some time, I bet it's the exactly same thing. Actually it's REAL strobe-tuner. The Peterson tuner isn't a real strobe tuner, but a tuner with strobe-alike display. The term strobe means blinking lights and the principle has been used on tuning car ignition since ages.

What I really like about my strobopick is the no need of plugging in or totally quiet environment. And it's also very fast once you get used to it.

• Members
Originally posted by Bajazz

small.jpg339688.jpg

Strobopick has been around for some time, I bet it's the exactly same thing. Actually it's REAL strobe-tuner. The Peterson tuner isn't a real strobe tuner, but a tuner with strobe-alike display. The term strobe means blinking lights and the principle has been used on tuning car ignition since ages.

What I really like about my strobopick is the no need of plugging in or totally quiet environment. And it's also very fast once you get used to it.

These things look like a handy, portable tuner. How easily do they tune?

I haven't found any where they ship OS either.

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

These things look like a handy, portable tuner. How easily do they tune?

I haven't found any where they ship OS either.

It's very easy when you get the grip. I would say dirt easy! :)

I just ordered a S.O.S on Ebay. At $11 it great to have a couple lying around.

Archived