When the recording qualitymakes you dislike the band

opultaM

• Members

Hum. Downward is Heavenward.

I know people around here are into them, and I can see why, in theory. I think of them as kind of a pseudo-aggressive funbox boiling over into swirls of magnets. But whenever I put on Downward is Heavenward, I am very dissapointed.

I think it's the recording that gets me. First the vocals are way too loud. It doesn't help that I'm not keen on his voice, but regardless they should be turned down.

Next, the drums have too much reverb, which doesn't help bring any warmth to the table. The bass is kind of lacking in warmth and it sounds like little plincky plincks at times.

The guitars pretty much ruin it I think. It sounds like they are doing many interesting things that should be working togetherin complex ways and that this bix mixture of sound should just be washing over me. But it's not. Lots of times I can't even make out the notes that are being played because there is such a lack of definition. It's like a lot of air sometimes.

I don't know, maybe I'm mising something. Maybe this is what they intended. I like it when I don't "get" an album at first and i kind of have to work at it before it all of the sudden clicks and I am consumed by it. But I've had this for like 5 years and I just can't help but think that a better recording would have brought out all the aspects of this band that I like in theory, but not in execution.

• Members

The first Metallica album I bought was And Justice For All, which sounded like a bad 4-track to me. Never bought another, it soured me on them entirely.

A lot of the time I can't "hear" through bad production. Ironically, I love listening to demos of material I am familiar with.

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

Ironically, I love listening to demos of material I am familiar with.

I agree with this. I guess it's just the mindset you re in. If it's something you know, you're looking for different qualities to come out in demo versions. At least, I am.

• Members
Originally posted by p7rak

Way to knit pick one of the best albums released in the last 10 years.

:thu:

Albums are only worth listening to if I can spend a few weeks knit picking it to all hell and then I still think it's good.

I also listen to albums that sound good.

your'e not helping.

• Members
Originally posted by opultaM

Albums are only worth listening to if I can spend a few weeks knit picking it to all hell and then I still think it's good.

I also listen to albums that sound good.

your'e not helping.

I'm not on this Forum to help you.
I'm stating my opinion you're stating yours.

BTW it's you're not your'e. :thu:

• Members

I'm not on this Forum to help you.

I'm stating my opinion you're stating yours.

BTW it's you're not your'e.
:thu:

Then I humbly request your assistance! I WANT to like that album- that band. But I don't. If it's one of the best albums in the last 10 years, what the hell am I missing?

I actually saw the your'e thing and was curious if I'd get a bite on that. Today is grammar day around here or something. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

The first Metallica album I bought was And Justice For All, which sounded like a bad 4-track to me.

I agree that Justice sounded really bad. The mids were almost non existent and low end mix was garbage. Really good for bringing out the 'woof' in even good low range speakers, not to mention that it was compressed to hell. All those things being said, content-wise it is a great record and I do dust it off and listen to it once in a while, but someone needs to do a reissue rescue remix/remaster or somethign to it. I bet you that if someoen does some sort of special anniversary remaster treatment to it, it would sell a Brazillion copies. Another example of a great record that sounded like crap is H

• Members
Originally posted by opultaM

Then I humbly request your assistance! I WANT to like that album- that band. But I don't. If it's one of the best albums in the last 10 years, what the hell am I missing?

I actually saw the your'e thing and was curious if I'd get a bite on that. Today is grammar day around here or something.
:cool:

Dude no hard feelings at all. I'm not on here to attack anyone. Yes, sometimes I can be the grammar Commando. But I am guilty of errors as well.

"Downward" and "You'd prefer an astronaut" are two of my favorite albums. But it's just that, MY favorite. I relate to those albums and derive a lot of my tone and playing style from them. I can't expect anyone else to hear them the same way I do.

I think that no album is without its mistakes, but it is best to overlook them and not knit pick when the album as a whole is really just great.

That and Hum, whether or not anyone or you wants to realize it, is one of the most influential bands in indie/progressive rock or more generally just rock in the last few years. Their style hasn't been matched by any band in my opinion.

I love Hum plain and simple. If you don

• Members

Depends on the band really. If it's a good band with crappy production I'm still going to dig the band. Like I really like the Moving Unit's first EP, even though the production quality isn't "professional", it was still cool though because they're good. :)

• Members
Originally posted by Sir H C

If you are going to throw rocks be sure you are not in a glass house.

nitpick.

Did I spell that wrong? Well see there you go we all happen to be Grammar Commandos around here. I suck at life and should go jump off a cliff. :cry:

• Members

Did I spell that wrong? Well see there you go we all happen to be Grammar Commandos around here. I suck at life and should go jump off a cliff.
:cry:

Not grammar, spelling.

As to the topic at hand, several albums are like that. Poor mixing makes it hard to listen to the quality songs they often contain. To me, Doves "Last Broadcast" is so wrongly mixed in my opinion that I can not listen to it. Where are the drums? Kick is totally AWOL.

Archived