I think I'm gonna buy a Redux delay

• Members

Ok well I just did buy one used. But here is what I've read. People like this pedal BUT some have complained about a couple things. Some say it boosts the volume too much and that it's noisy. I can look past these 2 things however because I first off I would never turn a delay on during the middle of a song, I use it for the whole thing or not at all. As for the the noisy part I read where the builder (sorry bro don't remember your name) said that you can avoid this by not turning the delay past 1 and that it was really not meant to be anyway. Or something like that. Either way it's pretty much the only pedal that interests me right now.

• Members

Not really meant to be noisy, or turned past 1? That doesn't sound to appealing to me. 'Hey, don't turn the time pot past 60% and its still good.' What would 1 be on a 600ms delay anyway - 400ms? Sounds like the guy wanted to hang onto the 'more delay time than an analogue' tag rather than conceed that the design couldn't deliver it.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

Not really meant to be noisy, or turned past 1? That doesn't sound to appealing to me. 'Hey, don't turn the time pot past 60% and its still good.' What would 1 be on a 600ms delay anyway - 400ms? Sounds like the guy wanted to hang onto the 'more delay time than an analogue' tag rather than conceed that the design couldn't deliver it.

As a manufacturer, we always have choices - limit the controls to "within spec" adjustment, or expand the adjustment range to include "out-of-spec, but still usefull" settings.

There are a number of high-profile boutique pedals that do this - units that in addition to making normal sounds, also make wacky, downright nasty sounds, because during the design process the builder made an extreme adjustment and thought it sounded cool - and maybe it DOES sound cool, but in my opinion it still sounds nasty... and they do this because sometimes, nasty is what you want.

If you still think that's unreasonable, try driving a car sometime. You CAN rev the engine up to and beyond 6000 RPM, but the manufacturer will tell you not to, and most people don't. However, as any mechanic knows, some people still do it. The only difference here is that pushing the Redux controls out of spec won't damage anything.

So, in summation - turning the Delay control up to 1 o'clock is "within spec" - going farther than that is overclocking the delay chips. It's still usable - listen to our online clips (which, in my experience is the #1 reason people buy the Redux) - but it can add a little noise & distortion to the delay.

The point is, no other delay pedal sounds like Redux, or does what it does. If you want low noise, no distortion, and long delay times, there are alot of choices, but our unit isn't one of them.

• Members
Originally posted by virtualtoad

As a manufacturer, we always have choices - limit the controls to "within spec" adjustment, or expand the adjustment range to include "out-of-spec, but still usefull" settings.

There are a number of high-profile boutique pedals that do this - units that in addition to making normal sounds, also make wacky, downright nasty sounds, because during the design process the builder made an extreme adjustment and thought it sounded cool - and maybe it DOES sound cool, but in my opinion it still sounds nasty... and they do this because sometimes, nasty is what you want.

If you still think that's unreasonable, try driving a car sometime. You CAN rev the engine up to and beyond 6000 RPM, but the manufacturer will tell you not to, and most people don't. However, as any mechanic knows, some people still do it. The only difference here is that pushing the Redux controls out of spec won't damage anything.

So, in summation - turning the Delay control up to 1 o'clock is "within spec" - going farther than that is overclocking the delay chips. It's still usable - listen to our online clips (which, in my experience is the #1 reason people buy the Redux) - but it can add a little noise & distortion to the delay.

The point is, no other delay pedal sounds like Redux, or does what it does. If you want low noise, no distortion, and long delay times, there are alot of choices, but our unit isn't one of them.

very cool Ryan! thanks for the description.

I'm seriously gassing for one of these myself. Make sure to do some clips when you get it :)

john

• Members

Noise it not uncommon in delays. Guitar Player Dec. '05 says:

The Memory Lane's delays "get relatively noisy past 250ms."

The AD-999 has "some hiss and clock noise when you max out the delay time."

About SPF I-5 that "the longer delays were indistinct and noisy."

On the Echo Park, "tiny bits of noise were introduced on some settings." It got an editor's pick.

We know if we max the gain on most od/dist that they will hiss like an am radio. We know when to avoid that and when to push ahead. So why should it be different with delays? :confused:

phishmarisol, I look forward to your review. I've been pretty interested in the clips of the Redux.

• Members

As far as the noise issue is concerned. I have played a Redux. The noise that is present when you push the delay time is hardly an issue. I have had plenty of dealy pedals and they all have noise at extreme settings. In fact I wish the noise gate on my DD-20 wasn't there. A little noise just adds character and isn't noticeable since your delayed signal is usually at a quieter volume than your dry signal. And the Redux does sound like nothing else out there. I was very suprised.

• Members

Ok got it in today. So far I'm very happy with it. With everything set around 12 it does a beautiful reverb. If I wasn't so happy with my other tone shaping pedals I could easily see leaving one of these on all the time. As it is I will use it for filling out a song or two but mostly for my ambient stuff. As far as any negative issues I don't find them to be much of a problem. There is a volume boost when the pedal is engaged but it is very slight. The noise is not an issue for me. I only noticed it when turning the mix up past 3. Otherwise I can crank the delay and it's still perfectly quiet. The offset is really fun to play around with and a great tool for ambient playing. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a pedal to help build textures and create space in this type of playing. Aside from that you can just use it as a regular ole delay pedal! It's a keeper.:)

Archived