Hot Rod Deluxe Content

StratStevo

• Members

The only thing better than one Hot Rod Deluxe is TWO!

My longtime guitar Bro Julio came by with his HRD to jam, so I felt obligated to break out mine. Damn I love this amp! Why do I treat it like a Scanky Ho when it treats me so good? We have played for hours and I have not heard a bad sound yet :thu:

hrd.jpg

• Members

I have a Hot Rod Deville, and considering that it can hang with my Vox AC-30, I'd say its a pretty good amp. :thu:

There are a couple of things I think that mess people up and they think they aren't good amps. First and foremost they turn up the gain on the lead channel to get a metal sound out of it. Its not really designed for that, get a Marshall or Mesa instead. However, turn the gain down low(3 or 4) and you can get what I call the "Brown Sugar" sound, after the Stones' Sticky Fingers era guitar sound. This works well and it also complements the clean channel nicely.

Secondly, as opposed to blackface amps, the HRD's have a mid control. Keep this turned down to get a better blackface style tone out of the clean channel. The amp will work better with a Tube Screamer better that way as well.

• Members

Originally posted by StratStevo

(1) It likes pedals

(2) It has an Effects Loop

(3) Killer Clean Tones

(4) Surf ready reverb

(5)
It likes pedals

Amen!

I've been buying a lot of pedals lately, expecting them to work with the amp, and they always do. The clean channel seems to break up in just the right way for them.

• Members

yeah i love mine too, how ever i want to do some mods to it mainly a speaker hange but i also want a few mid control mods.

basicaly i wanna pu in a 3 way switch so that i can select betwenn the mods:

1- bypass middle pot, and engage 6.8k resistor like the backface amps

2- engage a 10k pot intead of the 25k mid control , like the fender twins have

3- stock

• Members

yeah i love mine too, how ever i want to do some mods to it mainly a speaker hange but i also want a few mid control mods.

basicaly i wanna pu in a 3 way switch so that i can select betwenn the mods:

1- bypass middle pot, and engage 6.8k resistor like the backface amps

2- engage a 10k pot intead of the 25k mid control , like the fender twins have

3- stock.

thats sounds really cool.

i may replace my speaker, or i will probably just get an ext. cab.

• Members

.... and yours is on the left. I can see the slight line of dust on Julio's.

Glad you went out and got one for yourself. I knew that was coming. Knowing you, you're likely to pick up another as a spare!!

Organize your music room dude, you can hardly walk through all those amps!!!!

Later

• Members

I just finished ordering a Weber speaker for my HRD, so if you have been wondering what would be a good speaker replacment, here is what Ted Weber recommends for the HRD...

Ted,
I have a Blues Junior with a 50 watt ceramic Blue Dog 8 Ohm, no dope and I love it. What would be a good choice for a 40 watt Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Combo 112??

Stevo

Thanks very much for the nice comments, we really appreciate it.

For that amp, I would use a 50 watt 12F150, lightly doped.

Thanks very much,

Ted

Weber 12F150

f12n-rear.jpg

Archived